Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot

I have a 2004 A6 2.7T SLINE with 57,000 miles on it. This is my first Audi (loving it!!). I am the second owner and have had it for about 4 months and put about 10,000 miles on it (I drive a lot for work - 70+ miles per day 7 days a week). Right at 50,000 miles I started hearing a faint "honking" noise in the right rear, behind the tire. It almost sounded like it was coming from the trunk, but listening to it from the trunk, it sounds like its under the car. From under the car it sounds like its in the car, so its coming form somewhere in the middle. When I was at the dealer (Audi of Charlotte) for the 55k service, I let them listen to the recording and they were stumped. Of course, this only happens after about 45 minutes or more when the car is hot. My office is about 10 minutes from the dealer so it was not hot enough to do it. As the car cools down the noise gets lower and lower until it goes away. You can barely hear it from inside and you have to really listen for it outside the car unless your in the garage. The service techs at the dealer said it sounded like some kind of "venting" and was probably not harmful, but they admit they really don't know. That was about 3 weeks ago and then I get the recall notice for the faulty nipple. When I called the dealer today to schedule the recall service I asked about the noise and this defective part. They said it is possible that I would cause it, but the guy I talked to was not a tech. The "popping" noise in the recording is the catalytic converter/exhaust cooling down and contracting, mixed with some background movement noise.

Listen to the noise here: http://www.waterfrontservices.com/audi_noise.mp3

So, my question to all of you is, have you ever heard such a noise? Is it possible it is coming from the "cracked nipple" recall?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot

Have you tired changing your fuel filter to see if that's what causing it to honk. I know it sounds wierd but it could be getting partially clogged.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Nope, I have not tried that, or anything else, yet. The car runs great and does not seem like there are any clogs in the fuel system. It is worth a shot thought. Where is the fuel filter located on an 04 A6 2.7?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

Have you changed the oil since you owned it I hope :X Please let us know what the issues is if not that. THanks

Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

It should be located under the right rear passenger door, near where your honking sound is coming from.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

Check for Canada Goose in the right rear. It might get uncomfortable when it heats up and begin to comlain.

OK that wa a bad idea!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

Seriously does it sound like the horn that signals thedoors are locked?

Old 07-04-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

So you are thinking that when it gets hot, that somehow it is shorting out and causing the honking of the horn? I thought there was only one horn in the car.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

That sound clip was crazy I still think haha

Old 07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wammy18

Have you changed the oil since you owned it I hope :X Please let us know what the issues is if not that. THanks
Yes, i just had the oil changed at the dealer. Did the whole 55k service. No problems at all. Car drives great.

Quick Reply: Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot