Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: staggered wheels

I gotta say you guys area littleharsh. (Chevy S10 w/ dished wheels?...come on dude.) I think we ALL get the idea that it's a LOOK, andnot properly functional. It does look good, but the application is key here. Staggering a wheel setup is properly used on a rear wheel drive car. If you want to go widerI would say go up to 8 or 9 inches all the way around but not just on the rear. Thinner wheels on the front of a Quattro car defeats the benifits of Quattro (or at least minimizes it) as SBAudiGuy says.Yes it will still handle better than any vette or mustang but this is a luxo-cruiser at best unless you do some serious mods to the whole car. Just go w/ some 18's at about 8" wide all around and lower it about 1"-1.5" w/ a set of high quality springs and you'll be amazed at the new look.
You may have to get the fenders rolled at a body shop to avoid any scrubbing, depending on the profile of the tire though.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

Its a look that belongs on on cars engineered for a staggered stance (hence the rear wheel drive). It wont do anything for performance and may cause premature wear of suspension components. What about the ESP program? How would it affect your traction control with enhanced grip. I dunno the anwser to that one. I would stick with the same wheels all around. As zymol said, just lower it for a nice tight stance. The cars look hot this way.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM

hey gang... I do not think Mberg's intent is to go narrow/thin tires on the front. I think IF you keep the same rolling diameter on front and back an conservatively run an half-to one inch max.wider rim in the rear with same rolling diameter tires front and back and a good size tire in the front, he will get the LOOK he is after in the rear. I do not think he is after thehot rod look my 1968 camaro has. Maybe I misunderstood his question... sorryjtv4.2

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM

staggered LOOK

[IMG]local://upfiles/22136/CB9CE125376249A3ADF02BF05FC3AD6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

alright i am tired of hearing about function and performance.staggerd wheels are for looks only. unless you want to spend alot of money to keep up with a piece of crap mustang then give it up! I have had mustangs, to a corvette and all would kick my A6's *** even with a chip. andfor sure through a turn. my A6 came with 215 tires so anything wider is aplus. I love my car because it is a smooth ride unlike my vette and stang but for real some of us want a sexy ride because we wont always win light to light. I cant wait to go staggerd

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

thank you... indyaudiguy. finally someone that understands. In our family we have 7 cars, the two GTO's and a 1968 Camaro all eat for lunch the A6 4.2 light to light. which car do I like to drive every day....... the AUDI. LOOKS are important. I don't race in the I-500 so do I care it is perfect for function and performance... NO !!! I run 255 on the audi staggered will not make that much of a difference. jtv4.2

Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

So, let's see if we can wrap this up...

- Staggered wheels do NOT improve performance (they detract from it)
- They CAN be put on an Audi quattro (if you maintain the same outer diameter of the tires front/rear within 3% -- lower difference is safer)
- Some people like the look of this and are willing to accept a performance hit (performance hit = greater understeer on a car that already has it)

That said, some of us <raises hand> think it looks silly BECAUSE it is not a performance mod. But then again, some people think my 17" wheels are way too small. To each his own. Peace, love, and drive a quattro.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

nice ending man....let it rest in peace...LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

ok I talked to Audi International today and they talked to an in house tech about me wanting to put staggerd wheels on my car. Because of the quatrro they are highly against it. So for me its not worth the risk, i guess its back to the drawing board.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

Quick Reply: staggered wheels