Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak sound while stopped at D

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM
2nd Gear

You need to put someone behind the wheel while you search for the noise.

Does it sound like a squeek at even intervals like from something spinning or is it a creek like the car is swaying and creeks as it moves.

In N turn on the a/c does it squeek?.
Put it into drive. does it start squeeking then?

Does it only happen for a moment at a stop sign?
Does it ride funny? maybe the struts making noises.
I think if it were the suspension you would hear it more when you make turns and put pressure on it.

I would check the T-B area. It may be something else but I would check to make sure anyway. If it is a roller it will eat your belt. Bearings tend to squeek more under load and its a squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek because the bearing cage is shot on one side and as it turns it comes and goes. As your rpm increases the pitch may get to high to hear or the bearing just levels out from spinning so fast.

Spray the crap out of the passenger side wheel well with water and see if it goes away the water may lubricate it enough to stop if its suspension related. Then as it dries it will come back so you can find it again.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Thanks Jackump, I will try all in order and will write back.
Originally Posted by Jackmup
You need to put someone behind the wheel while you search for the noise.

Does it sound like a squeek at even intervals like from something spinning or is it a creek like the car is swaying and creeks as it moves.

In N turn on the a/c does it squeek?.
Put it into drive. does it start squeeking then?

Does it only happen for a moment at a stop sign?
Does it ride funny? maybe the struts making noises.
I think if it were the suspension you would hear it more when you make turns and put pressure on it.

I would check the T-B area. It may be something else but I would check to make sure anyway. If it is a roller it will eat your belt. Bearings tend to squeek more under load and its a squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek because the bearing cage is shot on one side and as it turns it comes and goes. As your rpm increases the pitch may get to high to hear or the bearing just levels out from spinning so fast.

Spray the crap out of the passenger side wheel well with water and see if it goes away the water may lubricate it enough to stop if its suspension related. Then as it dries it will come back so you can find it again.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 PM

First of all, it doesn't happen when I first start the car, it happens when moving slowly over the hill when I don't put gas on D, it disappears immediately, when I press gas. It only happens at 1 mil/hr speed, or 0 at while brakes are on, it doesn't matter if it is handbrakes or normal brakes.
it has nothing to do with a/c.
the braking during the red light somewhat amplifies the sound.
but, as I told you , in the first movement when i start the car, or in an even surface, the sound is not recognizable.
the car drives fine, though, it is a little shaky, i don't know why. i already know that, on the left , on the driver side, when i enter a bump, the suspension make a little funny sound, but it doesn't happen on the right.
in n, it doesn't squeak, in d, it squeaks, but not always, and it is not easy to prove, but i can clearly hear it when it squeaks.

MOST IMPORTANTLY,
I CAN MAKE THE SOUND DISAPPEAR,
I PUT THE CAR IN D, HANDBRAKES: ON, AND THE SOUND IS THERE, SO MUCH OF IT, AND THEN, I GET OFF THE CAR, ON THE PASSENGER SIDE, RIGHT ABOVE THE TIRES, WHEN I JUMP ON IT, WHILE THE CAR IS STOPPED, THE SOUND COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS.!!!

What is your solution guys now?"

Thanks

OZ

Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
4th Gear

Bad motor mount.....?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

Can you back to loach1 and let him look? It could be that your suspension is being vibrated by the drive wheel when in gear, out of gear the wheel won't vibrate at all because you have no power to it or you removed the load from the engine.

It could be anything in there. My engine mounts caused alot of vibration while they were bad, the oil leaks out of them. But no noise.

Idea, steal a roll from the rapping paper supply, put it to your ear and move it around that area to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

For God sakes man get somebody to hold the brake for you, don't trust the car.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM

I am a scientist, I couldn't sleep without knowing the reason for the noise.
I pinpointed the sound, it is over the tires, not in the engine compartment, I can't really figure more, I tried so many times.
I told you in D, in handbrakes, I have the noise, and when I jump on the right tires, on the hood, or give it a little push on the ground, the sound simply disappears.
I have been to loach1 so many times this month, I am embarassed to ask for help again, eventually

Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

Going on what your describing, I would guess strut or upper control arm bushing. When you move them they do not return to the same place and the noise stops. The bushing may have worn from vibration and when you stop, that's the worn spot, when you go it lifts the suspension when you slow it lowers it, stop and it returns to its relaxed postion and vibrates causing the squeek. Try spraying the control arm bushings with wd40 or something one at a time. drive it and see if it goes away. also feel in there the squeeky part may be vibrating more than the others. Did you check under the hood? What were you guys doing before it started?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

Bring it by over the weekend and we'll find the source of the noise.

Before he discovered this we fixed his SAI system - it was just a broken vacuum hose, the only one we didn't replace during after-run coolant pump replacement the previous weekend! I don't believe the work is related to this noise, but you never know....