Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak sound while stopped at D

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Default Squeak sound while stopped at D

Hi,
I have an 2001 Audi A6 quattro 2.7T.
There is nothing wrong with the car driving.
IT is at 55k. The breaks and etc should be about 5k old.
Today, 15 minutes ago, for the first time, when I stop at red light at D, the car gives squeaking sound from the front, when I release break, it continues for a while until I speed to 5-10 miles/hour.
The sound goes away immediately when I switch to N, even the breaks on.
The sound is more when I break, then I move, but there is still some noise, when I move at 1-2miles/hr.
It goes away frequently, doesn't happen all the time, and doesn't happen when I stop for good, or shift for the first time, from park.

Plus, it is a little raining, and I can see a little rusty look on my rims.
And, I was told before that my front and rear shaft seals are leaking.

What do you guys think it is?

Thanks in advance.
PS: my car doesn't give any codes or anything.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

That's not good, could be a roller for your timing belt or the waterpump. Have it checked out ASAP. If the roller goes, the belt will follow, then your valves and your wallet.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 PM

So, I did a check again,
Now I am 100% sure that it is coming when it is in D, and when the car is on an uneven surface.
It is not extremely high pitched.
It is surely coming from the passenger side of the car. It is not coming from the engine compartment, and it is coming from just above the tires, or that is the last point I can hear it.
When the car moves, there is not a single sign of that sound.
The sound only comes at uneven surface slight up or down.
It is not very loud, it is just barely detectable.
It is not continously on, it has a uneven frequency, comes up 1 second goes away 2 seconds, etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 AM

It could be one of your four links starting to go. The bushings in these are notorious for going south. Try pushing down on that corner of the car while parked, bounce it up and down. If you can get the noise while stopped it is probably the link starting to go...

Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
That's not good, could be a roller for your timing belt or the waterpump. Have it checked out ASAP. If the roller goes, the belt will follow, then your valves and your wallet.
If it was waterpump or timing belt, wouldn't it give the same noise, in N ?
The squeaking sound doesn't happen, and it doesn't come from the engine compartment, when I open the hood. It is in the very right corner where the tire is, but above it.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Here is a long shot- Could be your heater fan- my car was making similar noises as described above and turned out to be the blower fan that has 2 balancing clips on one of the blades- mine moved and i could see where they use to sit by the wear that was created-Fan is located under or behind your glove compartment- easy access and repair. I believe if you do a search a DIY'r shows step by step on repair. But, for peace of mind get your pulley’s checked! Note: noise also occurred when I had the heat on vs AC- I guess the question is, does your car make this sound when the HVAC is off?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
4th Gear

Wierd the way you describe it..

However, I beleve jackmup is correct in that its something belt related. If it comes and goes, it could be a bad accessory belt, bearings on the tensioner or alternator, or A/C clutch. All of these will cause a 'squeal' noise. Going away in N just means you have reduced the load on the belt and thus the bearings.

Second option is something in the Turbo system.. again, putting it in N reduces the load..

Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by toolagit2qwit
Here is a long shot- Could be your heater fan- my car was making similar noises as described above and turned out to be the blower fan that has 2 balancing clips on one of the blades- mine moved and i could see where they use to sit by the wear that was created-Fan is located under or behind your glove compartment- easy access and repair. I believe if you do a search a DIY'r shows step by step on repair. But, for peace of mind get your pulley’s checked! Note: noise also occurred when I had the heat on vs AC- I guess the question is, does your car make this sound when the HVAC is off?
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Wierd the way you describe it..

However, I beleve jackmup is correct in that its something belt related. If it comes and goes, it could be a bad accessory belt, bearings on the tensioner or alternator, or A/C clutch. All of these will cause a 'squeal' noise. Going away in N just means you have reduced the load on the belt and thus the bearings.

Second option is something in the Turbo system.. again, putting it in N reduces the load..
Well the A/C is off, the seat heater was ON, but I can turn it off.
are the alternator and the tensioner on the passanger side?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

I can attest to it not being a belt or pulley, etc. problem because I had my head under the hood of his car yesterday. I do think that although the miles are very low, being an '01 model it could use a timing belt job soon.

Unfortunately he had not experienced this noise when we were working on the engine or I could have helped track it down :-) BTW, we were fixing the SAI system vacuum leak, nothing that would have caused this strange noise!

I had a heater fan squeal during the very cold weather that went away once the car warmed up. At first I thought I had a turbo problem, but luckily it was easy to eliminate by switching off the fan. The location would be right in your case.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM

It started the next day I left your house loach

Originally Posted by loach1
I can attest to it not being a belt or pulley, etc. problem because I had my head under the hood of his car yesterday. I do think that although the miles are very low, being an '01 model it could use a timing belt job soon.

Unfortunately he had not experienced this noise when we were working on the engine or I could have helped track it down :-) BTW, we were fixing the SAI system vacuum leak, nothing that would have caused this strange noise!

I had a heater fan squeal during the very cold weather that went away once the car warmed up. At first I thought I had a turbo problem, but luckily it was easy to eliminate by switching off the fan. The location would be right in your case.

Quick Reply: Squeak sound while stopped at D