Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS6 sound enhanced exhaust installed on 2002 A6 4.2 - VVVVRRROOOOMMM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RS6 sound enhanced exhaust installed on 2002 A6 4.2 - VVVVRRROOOOMMM!!!

So, the long-awaited moment has arrived, and I am extremely pleased with the results. Before I get too far ahead of myself, let me thank DHPress, carbonLORD, Daveykid, and bac2h. The reasons why are listed below.

It began with a trip to "AudiWorld Central" in Chicago in January when I went to get my new car. I got to experience the RS6 sound enhanced exhaust first-hand riding in DHPress' car and hearing carbonLORD's from the outside as we tried to keep up with him on the freeway. I knew that I HAD to get me one of those setups!

I did, but in the end, I actually sourced TWO RS6 sound enhanced exhaust setups...well, maybe I should call it 1 and 2/3. Let me elaborate....

For months, Daveykid from the RS6 forum had promised me his RS6 setup, as he was replacing his with the Eisenmann for even more growl on his RS6. All I had to do was pay for shipping. No brainer, right? In the meantime, this other guy in CT lists his on AW classifieds, and I had to grab it (sorry endlessRR) for two reasons. I was unsure about the status of Daveykid's at the time, and I could NOT beat the price!

So, almost the exact same day as I agreed to buy the one from CT, Daveykid contacts me and let's me know that it is all set. But, I have already arranged to have bac2h grab the one in CT for me, as it was a bit of a hike from eastern-MA to grab this in southwestern-CT. I figure that if I end up with two complete systems, the least I could do was to offer the extra one to bac2h for his help grabbing it for me, and if he did not want it, knowing that endlessRR wanted one.

Later, I find out that the setup I am getting from Daveykid only includes the rear two pieces, which include pipes from the center exhaust and the mufflers and tips. Oh well, I'll just use the center pipes from the one from CT so I have a complete setup. I decide to sell bac2h the extra mufflers and tips. These are the business end of the SE exhaust...the centerpipes and center mufflers are the same as the RS6 non-sound-enhanced anyway.

I go to the shop this last Thursday to get it hooked up, not knowing (stoooopid me, I should have STFA!!!) that I needed a pipe adaptor to fit the pipe from the cats to the RS6 pipes. So, my buddy has to find an adaptor, but he ended up getting them made custom from a guy who owns a muffler shop for $20 total. Here is a pic of the center pipe adaptors:

So, today, he goes to work...ripping out the old exhaust...

(BTW - John/JMess5, it is ready for you to pickup!)

Sorry, I was gone for most of the day (some local ceremonies required my attendance), so I have no pics of the total install process. But from what he told me, there was a bit of "alteration" to the stock pipes to get these to fit properly. The big issue was the little ridge at the 12 o'clock position above the stock exhaust cutout. Here is a pics of the stock tips...

If he mounted the exhaust where the tips naturally fall into place, the center of the oval RS6 tip would have been about 1/2" to 3/4" inch to the outside of the center of the little ridge. Not only would this have been visually unappealing, but it would also come too close to the outboard parktronic sensors. He did not like that idea (which is good because I would have hated that as well), and he made an executive decision to find a way to line up the oval tips to the ridges. This was not as easy as it sounds.

First, there is a central hanger bar which could be adjusted so that the distance between the tips could be wider or narrower. Here is a pic of the bar...

However, when the bar was adjusted to the tips were aligned with the ridges, the mufflers were too close to the walls of the spare tire well. So, he heated up the pipes and did a small "adjustment" to the mufflers so that they would be centered properly in their little heat-shielded cubby AND the tips would line up with the ridges of the cutouts.

The results are amazing! Here are some before and after pics for your viewing pleasure. I'll try to take some more at a later date when the rear spoiler is mounted.

The rear before...

The rear after...

Angle before...

Angle after...

Stock tip (again)...

RS6 tip...oh yeah baby!!! ))

I should mention that the cutouts are lined with black door edge guard that he fastened with some adhesive. Nice touch to clean up the cut edges in the plastic valence.

So A4AdMan comes by to visit (thanks for making a 1.5 hour round-trip for a 30 minute visit!), and so he can hear the exhaust first hand. It sounds SOOOOOOO damn good!!! Here is a sound clip of the growl!!!
(sorry, I think this requires flash 8) I think that is me laughing in the background...it was hard not to laugh with glee!!! BTW - That is A4AdMan gunning the gas ))

I was SO unsure about the fit of the RS6 oval tips in the existing exhaust cutouts, but now I saved myself $1500 in parts, plus paint, plus labor, to install the RS6 rear bumper! No need anymore!!!

I can now focus my efforts and $$ towards the RS6 side skirts! Spoiler will be installed early next week )) More pics to come!!!

I think I need to find out if my wife needs anything at the store right now so I can go listen to it again ))) WooooHoooo!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: RS6 sound enhanced exhaust installed on 2002 A6 4.2 - VVVVRRROOOOMMM!!!

Sounds nice... I love that distinct V8 with open exhaust sound. I'd like to hear it at near redline, not just the low range though. I'm sure the fun could be arranged