Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability of a 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: reliability of a 2.7t

wel...i bought mine about 2 months ago...didn't spent a cent on it except gas....which is quite alot, as for the weird electrical problem, my brake light went out for a few days, then come back on after, that's the only weird problem I have experienced so far, but overall it's a great car to drive, if you can afford the cost, but that being said, if you want more performance over comfort, this might not be the one, on the other hand you want comfort with added performance, this might just be the one.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 AM
1st Gear

These are some of the things that I've had done that I can think of. I have the paperwork for most of it. It was done at the dealer, an indi shop, or by me. Not enough by me. I'm pretty limited in what I can do. I bought the car when it was 5 years old and had 56K on it. It's about 9 years old and has 95K on it. I hadn't abused it at all. These are just wear and tear things and bad engineering from what I understand.

Torque convertor $2550
Auxillary water pump $900
Master window switch $170
Overflow reservoir $90
Transmission filter, fluid, gaskets $300
Transmission Cooler lines $130
Coolant lines and O-rings to the engine $1032
Electronic Control Module $800
2 CV Boots $420
Coolant Flush $110
Brake Fluid Flush$100
Full Brake Job $950
Control Arm $200
Rear view Mirror Fell off $389
ABS control Mod $857 at Dealer
Redo Auxillary pump $569
Cruise control Repair $150
Engine Mounts $855
Another Transmission Seal leak on the other end $342.03
Leak where Tranny and engine meet $1277.73
Spark Plugs $75, I did them myself
Timing Belt $1250 coming soon.

$13526.03 give or take a couple dollars. I rounded down. I paid $14,500 for the car. I keep hoping that it will catch on fire or something, but it just keeps running. lol. Pain in the a$$, but I love it.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Man you are a trooper, I'd cry if I had to do all the work you did on four cars let alone one...

Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

has anyone else had any serious maintence issues like this guy? or does he just have a car seemed to be built by the devil? it still seems like some people have no issues what so ever then some people end up puttin 15k in their car in just a couple years. but every person just about still says they love driving the car either way.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

I bought my 01' 2.7t this December and no major problems so far. Ive put about 4k miles on it and got it at 79k. Only thing is a minor air leak in a hose under the hood (FIXING SOON, $$?) and a bit of shaking on my front right tire at higher speeds. Then TB needs to be done and then turbos hopefully a loong time from now.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

I bought a 2000 2.7T last year with 75k on the clock. It's had to have a replacement auxiliary water pump, an engine temperature sensor and some pipes at the back of the engine that had perished. The brake discs were warped when I got it and warped again after about 6k. The sheer weight of the behemoth means it eats tyres and brakes. I've done 10k on it. I love the ride and the feel of the car, but I'm not sure I'd have another.

Before I bought Audi I'd never had a german car. I thought (like most other non-german car owners) that german cars were the ultimate in reliability. I no longer believe this is the case. In fact, quite the opposite. I baby my car like no other, but still, things fail. I never sold my previous car because the Audi hasn't proved reliable enough so far to allow me to sell it.

I think that if you go into it expecting possible issues, you'll be alright. Just don't expect reliability, otherwise you'll be p*ssed off in no time. Mine is at an independent garage today for a UKMOT test. I have absolutely no doubt that they will call me later to tell me it's failed and something else needs replacing or is worn or persihed etc.

Good luck old chap, whatever you decide....

Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Even though some of us have had some serious and costly problems, you cant totally blame the car itself. Sure the 2.7t isn't the most reliable but the majority of us have bought them USED. Who knows what these cars have been through with previous owners. Some people punish there cars. They aren't educated like us about what to do about keeping it in good condition and then when we buy them we pay for their mistakes. And I believe German cars ARE the best. My dad has had numerous german cars all of which were used and have stood the test of time. THEY ARE TANKS.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

lol funny because I had the same exact work done on my 2.7T.
I'm also hoping it will catch on fire or someone will steal it haha.
But it keep going and going. It is definitely a pain in the @ss but I love it.
I dont think I would own any other car but an audi.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

I've had my 00 2.7 for two years. I got it with 75k and now have 128k. I've done coil packs and plugs at 110k and the coil chips on air box( misfire cause not coils). My water pump went out so I did TB kit replacement and all involved. Also did aux water pump. And valve cover and intake spacer-gasket. Most of it was while ur there repairs. Did the labor myself and parts were pretty reasonable. I love my Audi and my wife fell in love with it. Love the ride. Would get another one. Only electrical issue was a the light plug for driver rear seat was shorting windows and dome lights. BTW this forum helped out tremendously so thank u to all for your voluntary info. PROPS!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

I see three years ago I had 118k miles -> now at 216k. Had to replace the cats since then. Another TB and brakes/rotors. That's it for major repairs and maintenance. Otherwise the usual oil, fluids, and filters. Even did the PS fluid to stop a squeal (it did not).

Quick Reply: reliability of a 2.7t