Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability of a 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: reliability of a 2.7t

ORIGINAL: formulagigi

my next car wil also be an Audi whether a B8 or 03 RS6 or other
I have put over 10k in mine but in repairs!! As Joeski, said, it was my own doing, mostly mods and service., not repairs.
I also hav a warranty so my repairs were almost all covered under warranty(coil packsm CV boot, water pumpm control arms...)

^^ True True Formula.......Spoken like a true poet!

OOOO

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

so what im seeing is that if you dont beat the car and do routine maintenence they arent to bad? i knew to begin with that parts on these foreign cars arent cheap. but this car was owned by a woman and her daughter and it is in great shape. but isnt that the case with any car? if you beat on it anddont take car of it it will die :-P . i just heard alot of weird things with these cars like really really odd electrical problems that noone can figure out what they are like windshield wipers randomly comin on when you do something or the seat moving back when they put it in reverse inside lights not working.... this is all weird stuff i read on forums so i wasnt sure.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: madman1234509

so what im seeing is that if you dont beat the car and do routine maintenence they arent to bad? i knew to begin with that parts on these foreign cars arent cheap. but this car was owned by a woman and her daughter and it is in great shape. but isnt that the case with any car? if you beat on it anddont take car of it it will die :-P . i just heard alot of weird things with these cars like really really odd electrical problems that noone can figure out what they are like windshield wipers randomly comin on when you do something or the seat moving back when they put it in reverse inside lights not working.... this is all weird stuff i read on forums so i wasnt sure.
Hey madman,

Let me tell you this. I have had my car for 8 years and it has never broke on me! Maintenance is crucial on turbo cars as with any car....meaning religious 5K oil changes with an approvedSynthethic oil (Motul, Pentosin, Elf, etc...), drive easy on start up until the engine oil warms to 175 degrees and easy driving prior to shut off to let the engine oil start the cooling process. My car has 140,000 miles on it because I commute from Lancaster PA to Baltimore for work (although this will be changing soon). My car is on the original turbo's and you would never know by driving it. My car is powerful! I plan on upgrading the turbo's soon as I can, Iam buying a Civic to drive to work so the Audi will be in a garage and the motor is coming out!

If you love your car, your car will love you!!!!

OOOO

Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

thanks alot for the help. i know it is a big deal on turbo cars to keep the maintenence up and do all the right heating up and cooling down processes. normally im used to just changing my oil over 3k miles so ill probably just keep that routine going, as long as it wouldnt hurt the car. it was just the weird very random electrical problems that i read about that noone could figure out what it was that scared me.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear

Yah my car locks me in if I lock the drivers door sometimes..... You can't unlock the car when you stop! You have to open ur door and randomly you are able to unlock the doors haha Face the facts you are buying a 12G car and it is worth EVERY PENNY OF IT! I am 20 years old and see my self in the future buying audi's! Put 15G and you will have an RS6!!! WHY NOT!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear

Three years and 81k miles (37->118k) and the only unexpected problem was the alternator dying at the exact moment I impacted a pothole at 70k. I was out of town and the local stealer quoted $1200 but I negotiated and bought a re-manufactured alternator and had him do the work, total $600. Would have been $200 less if I could have driven it home to my local independent.

Other than that, chipped at 74k for $1350 and clutch/flywheel/driveline fluids replaced at 90K for $2900. Timing belt was $800 total. I change the oil roughly every 7-9k with Mobil1. Did the spark plugs and all brake pads and rear rotors once. Also replaced the gas filter and brake fluid.

I attribute the clutch/flywheel to the original owner towing a trailer, the extra hp from the chip, and me running it to 150 one night. Even including that, repairs have been $3500 and maintenance about $1800 over three years. I don't do any work, except detailing. You be the judge if this is unreliable or expensive.

Let me add this is the most comfortable car I ever owned for highway cruising...fun to drive and good looking. Every accessory except the headlight washers still work. It is rock solid in snow and slush. I intend to keep it indefinitely and would absolutely consider another.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

Yes i love mine and for some reason i think im going to be driving an audi the rest of my life.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

I bought my '02 used with 46,000 miles on it last June. It now has 89,000 miles on it. In that mileage I have had a CV boot go, a front wheel bearing go, one inner tie rod end and the rear brakes. Additionally, the windshield washer reservoir leaks and has defeated all attempts to stop it, short of replacing the pump. Since I do all the work myself, the costs haven't been too high, but I am looking at front control arms, the other inner tie rod end and the timing belt in the next couple of months, which might my opinion of the costs.

I agree though that this is a very stable car in the snow! I have had better highway rides, but I think the control arms aregoing bad which is contributing to the poor ride (too much vibration and poor impact absorbtion).

Note that ALL of the above are considered common problems and should beconsidered normal maintenance.

Bob

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

I bought a 2003 2.7t 6Spd manual With 41k on it Oct 2007, had it chipped with Autothority it now has 51k, i have had no problems what so ever with it. The car is fast, i wish it was faster. The Turbos are quiet and i am quite confident that this car will last me until its paid off and buy an S6

I also was smart enough to buy a 5 years 100,000 warranty from the odometer reading when i bought with full bumper to bumper coverage includign high end electronics and emissions parts. So if my turbos do go i am covered and the place i bought it from does the work and the policy is through Allstate. And if i don;t use the warrantly i will get refuded 30-50% of the cost after 5 years.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

I got 80k on the clock have spent probably over 3.5k on audi service and small fixes (cup holder, wipere blad assembly, turn signal relay, tires). All OEM Equipment from Dealer in NY.

Quick Reply: reliability of a 2.7t