Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Racing M5 Vs S6...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Opinions Racing M5 Vs S6...??

Did you just say that Audi's are more nimble than BMW's??? ROFLMAO

Sorry man, but the heavy AWD sedan with almost 60% of its mass hanging over the front axle is not more nimble than the BMW. Audi's have a hard time taking a corner right. You generally have to plow into corners, bury the brakes, fight the understeer to get the front wheels going in the direction you want and stomp on the gas to pull you through the corner. That is far less efficient than a RWD BMW that can easily dial in the right amount of oversteer to push the rear through the corner in a nice sweep.

In a straight away race the RS6/S6 may have a good chance against M5's depending on the year. On a proper racetrack, it's lights out for the Audi's as the BMW will walk all over them.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

Audi is NOT nimble!!! not compared to a BMW..
I'll havhe to agree withNJGOAT... The M will walk all over the S or RS (2003 anyway, not enough info on new one)
In think even the current S6 si slower than the prior M5, both in a straight or curves
The new S6 is very heavy and straight #s are not that good IMO. It is a great luxury fast car, don't get me wrong but not a sports car. The M5 is more of a sport sedan IMO.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

Yea but the 550 isn't exactly a sports sedan. Its more of a short 7 series. Have any idea how weak that suspension is on the normal 5 series if it doesn't have the sport package/m mode? F/n blows whale dick! I drove a 540 and it also understeered. Yea an M car is better than a Quattro in a track but in this case I was just comparing the sporty S6 to a front end heavy 550. But hey...what do I know. I've only pushed my A6 to the limits and I love it so I talk trash about other cars. Lol. I could be wrong(possibly) but either way....never take a BMW over an Audi. with 4" of snow on a proper racetrack you tell me who would win. Because they don't make a M5 with x drive. In the real world during the winter....Audi walks all over BMW

Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

I've researched this a lot a flat out, the BMW's are better performers on the track. They don't understeer and they offer great front end maneuvarbility. The Quattro system fights the driver when the car is thrown into a turn which creats understeer. The advantage quattro systems have over BMW's is seen mostly in "less than perfect" conditions. Audi's are all abotu safety and stabilyt, where as BMW's are all about thrills and spills.'

Now... if you you were to say... do a lot of suspension mods and all that.... then it would be a whole different ball game.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Well, in that case you're right. We'll take the best performing A6 and race it against the worst performing 5-series in 4" of snow around a track...in that scenario, the Audi wins.

Just because you love your car doesn't give you an excuse to talk out your rear and trash other cars even if they are or aren'tbetter. I've loved all the cars I've owned, but I also understand their limitations and try to represent them correctly. Trash talk doesn't earn you anything unless you can back it up in the real world.

PS All cars understeer. They are purposefully designed that way so noobs don't go killing themselves when their car oversteers. The difference is that in a RWD drive car, the understeer can be easily overcome with proper throttle application.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear

Hey man chill out. it was just comparison & discussion. That's why its titled 'opinions". Nothing personal here. This isn't really trash talk since im not using any offensive words. I never said BMW's are pieces of crap, didn't even say that they're bad cars. I love mostly all cars also. I was only comparing one vehicle to the other. Not everything in general. If im "trash talking" about a BMW its only when I compare it to an Audi...which imo is OVERALL better than a bimmer. Some aspecs the bmw is better but in the long haul I still think Audi whoops tail. I previously stated that the S6 is better than the 550 in particular and no its not the worse performing BMW. But of course a slower and cheaper 335i with the sport package might handle better than the S6 because its suspension is comparable to the M5. And in 4" of snow im sure the mighty M5 would be bowing down to an S-Line also. But whatever. BMW's rape a lot other cars in performance.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Not S6 vs M5 but kinda close. S4 vs M3. I know its a re-post but it does help with the debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz39I589Yjk

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

You tube does no justice. There's an easy way settle this. Does anyone have a new (06 or newer) STOCK rs6, close to Philly? I have a 06 M5. I like my A6 but, Ilovemy M. I don't care who you are, you have to concur that Audi and BMW are both remarkable engineering marvels. Let's find somewhere safe, document it and put an end to this silly little topic.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rs6 granite I may have even bought one if I hadn't had the opportunity to purchase the M from my mother. TheM series has been in production for a long time and boasts an impeccable and impressive proven track record which has been considered a standard in automotive performance by both consumer and critic.

I'm not trying to get out of line in anyway, 'nor am I trying to be odious towards anybody’s viewpoint. To be honest, I'm curious, myself.

Who's in?

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_0600.jpg

Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 AM
1st Gear

Every review that I have read for 2007 model comparisons of M5 v S6 v AMG's E63, puts the M5 first for drivability or track use. A number of reviews will also note that the S6 is not really the direct competitor for the M5. The RS6 is...

The same goes for the M3 v S4. The comparison should be between the M3 and the RS4. Again, the M3 wins from a drivablity perspective, but day to day use, most say the RS4 is one they would live with.

IMO, BMW's do make the best track saloons, but the Audi's are the ones you would likely to take your kids to school in, do the shopping in and live with. That is of coursewhen you're not using your BMW X5 (or whatever your second car is) for those chores...