Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Default OBD Failure

Greetings!

I just purchased a 2002 Audi A6 Quattro about a month ago and have decided to join this forum. So I guess Im looking to get some help with this OBD code that I got when my check engine light turned on.

The code is "P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)"

Does anyone know if this is something that is very costly to fix? And if so how much would it cost? The bastard at the gas station I went to get my emissions at said that the smoke test just to figure out where the leak is would cost $70.00, which seems like a complete rip off, but I could be wrong.

Also if I turn off the check engine light does anyone know if I can pass emissions with it turned off? Because I am going to turn the light off right before I get my emissions done just so I can pass it and get some new tags at the DMV.

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!

- Big Ben

Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: OBD Failure

70 bucks is actually pretty cheap to diagnose a check engine light. Turning off the light probably wont work. The emissions device not only checks for engine faults, but also system tests. If the system tests havent been perfomred you need to drive the vehicle more to make sure the test have been performed. If the leak is still there the test wont pass. What you could do is drive the car for about 30 minitues to see if the light comes back on. Also make sure this test drive incluedes at least 3 engine restarts. Also check to make sure you have a gas cap. No gas cap will cause this code. Did you happen to refuel the vehicle with the engine running? That will also cause the code.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Default RE: OBD Failure

Yeh, so I turned off the check engine light with an OBD reader and then immediately took my car to a gas station to get the emissions test done. Definently did not work. They couldnt perform an emissions test because of what you were talking about. I have now driven the car for over 30 minutes and have had at least 4 or 5 engine restarts and the check engine light hasn't come back on. I havent refuled with the engine on and I don't think the gas cap was the problem either. Hopefully this is something minor since the check engine light has not come back on. So Im basically going to just get the diagnoses test done and see what they say. Thanks for the help though dankhound. Hopefully this post will help anyone who is trying to cheat on their emissions test.