Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 Sensor, DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Default RE: o2 Sensor, DIY

haha seriously, im taking it in for timing belt, but if i could do the o2 sensors it would save me around 300 or 400 that i can then put into my dp's

Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but i really need some detailed ideas, ive searched and searched and all i come up with every time is, go in there twist em out and put new ones in.. great i get that, but what path do i take to "go in there" if someone has pictures that could show me or even explain it , i would be very happy... also is there an easier way to do it from under the car??? Please help me im a noob!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Not an expensive repair. I had the dealer do it for for less than $250.00 US.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

trapped- sorry about the delayed response. i went to pick up my sensor today and they shipped the wrong one, so i should be picking that up in the morning and replacing it then. i have a few pics of location that i'll go ahead and post, but hopefully i'll do full write up tomorrow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22553/510E76EACBBE49689FDDC2CA258A35D1.jpg[/IMG]
bank1 sensor1 connector on passenger side
[IMG]local://upfiles/22553/73BF9014921A43329741E3F62494AE1F.jpg[/IMG]
this is the sensor from bank1. it is on the passenger side behind the firewall. get a good light and shine it down there. you'll see it. it also helps to have the flex hose removed.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Modset, you are amazing this is exatctly what i have been looking for, but do you by chance have the driver side one too? I will go out tomorrow and try to locate the sensor. Ohh by the way are both sensors in that wireing board? Thanks again huge help

Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

the green and brown ones on that board are the post cat sensors. they are the ones you access from under the car. i don't have a pic of the the driver's side one. it is under the coolant tank on the firewall. if you remove the screws from that, unplug the sensor from the bottom of the tank, swing it to the side gently. you then have to unsnap the heat shields under there. it's in the seme spot as the one i showed you, but it's on the driver's side exhaust manifold. supposedly it's easier to access once you get things out of the way. you will have to remove the y-pipe for this one though. hope that helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Really I have to take of the y-pipe... why just to make room... i really don't want to end up with a few extra parts so i was hoping this would be "easy", but what tools do you need and when you say just move aside the collant tank, doi just unscrew it and move it. I really need to have mycar in front of me to see what you mean!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

yes. i think it's best to remove the y-pipe IMO. there's not much room on the driver's side otherwise. the coolant tank has 3 screws on the top holding it down. then pull up and back slightly. there is a sensor on the bottom. from what i've read on here, usr a flathead screwdriver to unlatch it. then just swing it to the side gently. i have yet to do this myself, so do a search on valve cover gasket replacement and you should be able to find how to remove coolant tank. better yet, here is a link to a writeup that should show you how to remove the y-pipe (http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/616641.phtml) and here is a sparkplug change writeup that shows him removing the coolant tank (www.audiworld.com/tech/eng82.shtml)

like i said, i've never attempted this yet, but i will. i'm not about to pay a ridiculous price for replacing my front o2 sensors. remember, you're doing this at your own risk, but i think if you take your time, you'll be fine. be sure and remember where things go back that you remove like sensors on the air box. take a pic and lable them with a paint pen. i numbered mine. be sure and have hose clamps for putting the t-pipe back on. i've saved so much money by learning to do things myself.

the tools you need are a 24' extension bar, and make sure you get a crowe's foot o2 sensor wrench. i gogt my tools at autozone. and get a jointed socket adapter. this was a life saver. i'll do passenger side writeup in diy section tonight.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM

mod you are great i can't wait to start this project...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

trapped- i'm having problems getting it to the diy section because of email issues. i'll keep trying tonight and if all else fails, i'll just do it on this post tomorrow.

Quick Reply: o2 Sensor, DIY