Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: no power, need help ASAP

sounds like it could be a idle air control module. I had a 1995 Audi 90 with that problem. If you were driving down the road and let of the gas it would just cut off. Avacuum leak could also be suspect. I am not sure if your car is equipped with it, but the 'hissing' sound that you speak of could bethe secondary air pump that runs for about aminute when the car is cranked.Lack of fuel pressure could also cause this. I dont see your fuel filter being clogged causing that though, that would cause it to run pretty crappy all the time. There should be a port somewhere on the fuel rail that you can screw on a fuel pressure tester to see how much you have.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Site Moderator

You need to start with the basics man, most likely its a dirty throttle body and or a vaccum leak.
Take off the hose to the TB start the engine and spray a whole bottle of chemtool carb cleaner down the intake while someone is flooring it (its gonna want to die) That should make it idle smooth as all hell.
If that doesn't fix it trace the hissing noise which is probably gonna be your vaccum leak. The most efficient way to search for a vaccum leak is to use a propane can and spray it around the engine when its running, if the rpm starts racing up you found the where the leak is.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

where could i get propane can, and i need some more info, where the throttle vacum

Old 07-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Site Moderator

Oh man, well the throttle body is the valve that controls your engine speed, or butterfly valve.
Follow the main intake line to the throttle body on the back of the engine if you have the 2.8L.
Take off the clamp on the throttle body, pull off the hose and you should see the big steel valve, when you press the gas pedal the throttle cable pulls open the valve and direct air into the engine, this is where you will be spraying in the chemtool. You can get a propane torch at any autoparts store or go to the home depot. Your not actually lighting the torch, just venting the propane around the engine.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Will it be hard to find that and is it hard to reach that stuff. I'm just 16, and new to Audis, so sorry if I'll have some more questions I'm just getting fimiliar with the car. I love the car its just it started doing it on Saturday after noon when I was comming home and I was going up a hill in my neighborhood. Is there a diagram that shows where the valves are located?

Thanks a lot
Yoshi

Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Site Moderator

Nah dude, its a single big *** valve. Start at the airbox, follow the rubber line to where its connected to the big steel/aluminum thing. Take the rubber hose off the metal thing and you should see a large valve inside there. Its all visible from the top of the engine really easy. Do a search for throttle body problems in the forum and you should be able to get a picture.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

If it goes over 3000k rpm's it dies, so how do i get it to floor while i m spraying the chemtool stuff, or will it idle while i m spraying that stuff?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator

No it will try and die on you, it doesn't combust very easy and it breaks away all the carbon on the intake valves, intake manifold, TB, ect. So just try and keep it from dieing.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

So i should just should spray the whole can of it there while its idling and getting floored, so i m gonna do that tommorow, if i will have some more problems i ll post them up, thanks alot

thanks
yoshi

Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah but have someone flooring the gas pedal while you are spraying the chemtool into it, thats the key.

Quick Reply: no power, need help ASAP