Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no excuse for a slow audi.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

i love how it took 2 pages to get from ridicule to serious thought about, hmm.. its possible, although radical. lol. well auditech79 the resources are greatly appreciated and i will utilize them at the earliest opportunity, but i see one of the biggest challenges here keeping it somewhat regularly drivable, and somewhat quiet. because yes, i want to build a hot a6, but i want it to still be road-able. now we're looking at tranny, chip, turbos, intake mani, and associated parts which arent hard to come by, speed is just a matter of money. and even with those modifications the car is still road-able, although less fuel miserly than it already is. i hate the pitch of the straight down pipes though. so i need to find a way to keep the exhaust relatively subtle. street legal and street friendly whilst track happy are the goal. but i know im asking too much for subtly. so i think im gonna modify the goal speed to 12.00. not for sake of performance, but for sake of taking it to a strip and running a slip and not needing to bolt on roll cage, etc., the nhra rules didnt matter originally, but i dont want to chop up the interior more than nessescary. and save my self some trouble for the moment.

Last edited by flyboyx; 12-21-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

and i'd be interested in bouncing around the idea of keeping an auto tranny, but yet beefing it up to something like level 10's specs. idk, just an idea so i dont punch a hole for a clutch pedal.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Site Moderator

You can hit the 12 mark with a stock trans, but no further. You might run into torque converter problems at around 450 horsepower though. To get to that, you need to put downpipes on (no way around that) but i have something for you that might put a smile on your face. http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1895 Its the cheapest turbo back exhaust i have ever found for the 2.7T. However its built for the S4, i think you could easilly adapt it being the metal fab guy you are, and it sounds damn good. If it ends up being too loud you could change the mid muffler to something a little bit quieter. I had it on my old S4 and i LOOOOOVED IT. I ran that, a manual boost controller, a greddy E-manage, and stock K03's and ran a 12.8 1/4 when i had it. Pretty decent for less than $2,000 worth of mods, but that was dangerousely close to blowing up the turbos. You could get away with getting a set of K04's and a hardware kit, maybe a set of RS4 intercoolers, and piping (which ssautochrome sells) and some injectors and tune. That would bring you to around 12.5, and around 400 horsepower, beyond that you can whip out your lap top and tune it with lemmiwinks or unisettings for optimal fuel and ignition, and crank the boost up into the 20's bringing you to the 12.0 mark.
As you can see im all for the 12's, because you can easilly hit that and not spend your way into a late retirement.

Last edited by auditech79; 12-21-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tboner3
I'm pretty sure he knows audi's are for corners not straights.
baahahahaha!!! You must drive a completely different Audi than me. Get the roads slightly wet and put mine into a sharp curve and the whole car starts to slide. And the weight of the car has both front tires wearing on each edge. LOL, audi's are corner carvers, lol.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by whitey
baahahahaha!!! You must drive a completely different Audi than me. Get the roads slightly wet and put mine into a sharp curve and the whole car starts to slide. And the weight of the car has both front tires wearing on each edge. LOL, audi's are corner carvers, lol.
Clearly you don't know how to drive. I would say a lot of things about why this is but im not going to indulge here. This is exactly why i don't like posting on these kind of threads, it brings out the audizine type members.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Back on topic, I think low 12's high 11's is a good goal. If you feel the need to go nuts beyond that you are lookin at some big bucks. I hope there will be a build thread! Gives me something to do at work :P

Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Last edited by whitey; 12-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
You can hit the 12 mark with a stock trans, but no further. You might run into torque converter problems at around 450 horsepower though. To get to that, you need to put downpipes on (no way around that) but i have something for you that might put a smile on your face. http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1895 Its the cheapest turbo back exhaust i have ever found for the 2.7T. However its built for the S4, i think you could easilly adapt it being the metal fab guy you are, and it sounds damn good. If it ends up being too loud you could change the mid muffler to something a little bit quieter. I had it on my old S4 and i LOOOOOVED IT. I ran that, a manual boost controller, a greddy E-manage, and stock K03's and ran a 12.8 1/4 when i had it. Pretty decent for less than $2,000 worth of mods, but that was dangerousely close to blowing up the turbos. You could get away with getting a set of K04's and a hardware kit, maybe a set of RS4 intercoolers, and piping (which ssautochrome sells) and some injectors and tune. That would bring you to around 12.5, and around 400 horsepower, beyond that you can whip out your lap top and tune it with lemmiwinks or unisettings for optimal fuel and ignition, and crank the boost up into the 20's bringing you to the 12.0 mark.
As you can see im all for the 12's, because you can easilly hit that and not spend your way into a late retirement.

Originally Posted by whitey
^ i'll just disregard the other posts as they dont really apply to, anything. lol. but i definately appreciate the advice and im diggin those pipes. and i think its a more manageable goal, as we decided early 10's arent impossible by any means, but i dont want to chop the car to take it to a legal strip ya know. im not all for a roll cage, or even a bar, in an A6. 12's are performance enough without meatball surgery to the interior. and as these are the stock turbos, im looking at the k04s regardless, for preventative maintenance to keep from blowing the stocks and for performance. and im planning my retirement from a med board from the army, so im not worried about that lol. do you think that intake i was looking at from your other post would be worth it for air flow?

and yes, as soon as this project becomes further underway than planning, there will be pictures and details.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Site Moderator

Intakes really don't help turbo cars, if you look at most high horsepower engines it has an exposed filter really closed to the turbo. The reason for this is a shorter path for the air to travel decreases spool time, you don't have to worry about sucking in hot air because the intercooler takes care of that, another reason to upgrade to an FMIC or RS4 intercoolers. So intercoolers and hardpiping are much more important than any intake system. Just try to keep the intake short and sweet, preferably with a higher flowing filter like a cone or dome filter.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

LOL - Fast vs quick?

My A6 Avant can best most any speed limit in the USA without a problem while hauling my big butt around in comfort. It does a great job in dry, wet and snowy weather, so who cares if it can't do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds. I'm comfortable! I'm cool! And I'm happy!

There was a gal with a V-10 S8 Quattro on Myspace awhile ago that challenged a guy with a modified 5.0 Stang to a drag race for pink slips. The only kink was that it had to be on a wet track. The guy would not take the challenge! I wonder why!!!

Quick Reply: no excuse for a slow audi.