Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new a6 owner with tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM

OK, the codes being set say that there is no communication from the output shaft speed sensor on the transmission, and the ratio in fourth gear is not right, which makes sense because thats the gear it slips in. changed fluid and filter, car acts exactly the same way. I'm taking it to a transmission shop(what I should have done in the first place) next week. The car works fine if you keep it in tiptronic mode and don't allow it to shift past 3rd gear,its only when it goes into 4 or 5 that the tranny starts slipping, and then the car puts itself into limp mode. Anyways, hoping the transmission shop can figure it out, and worst case scenario I have found a second hand transmission with 45000miles and a six month warranty for $1350. so I imagine that would be cheaper than rebuilding this one. If anyone has any advice or an idea where I could find a cheaper transmission, any info will be greatly appreciated

Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM

oh and there was approximately 2 and a third litres of fluid in the transmission when we drained it, and it did seem to be slighty burnt, but not a terrible odor, and no debris.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Choose wisely as the labor (books) for transmission 'off-on' is in the vicinity of 17hours.
If you play with 'smart' diagnostics on top of the replacement labor => you make the conclusion...

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Changed the fluid, still doing the same thing, it is in the transmissions shop now, and they are going to inspect and notify me if it is going to be cheaper to replace it, or rebuild it, my suspicion is that the clutch packs for 4 and 5 gears are toast. not familiar with these transmission, so I have no idea how much work is involved in rebuilding one, nor the price of the parts. I have located a second hand transmission with a 6 month warranty, and I suspect that is probably the route I am going to have to take to get the car back on the road

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM

I have a 99 A6 with similar problem, transmission only slips when I turn the corners sharply, other than that, it works! The car has been sitting for about 11 months though! My mechanic has just changed the tranny filter and gasket and topped it up. Will pick it up tomorrow and see.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

"new a6 owner with tranny problems"

What does she drink too much?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 AM

Ended up purchasing a rebuilt transmission, got a pretty good deal on it, so I went that route instead of rebuilding mine. The mechanic said it looked like the car had been driven some time with the transmission leaking, and probably burnt the clutches in all gears, not just 4 and 5. I had to get the transmission out of Quebec, as that was the nearest one, audi parts are not all that plentiful here in rural Nova Scotia. The transmission is supposed to be here tomorrow, and the mechanic thinks it will take him two days to do the switch.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

Where did you get the transmission from?
Please PM me.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM

ok got the car back from the transmission shop, transmission seems to be working fine, only I feel a bit of a "shudder" not sure how to explain it other than that, when turning hard one way or the other while taking off, is this normal? I also have a wheel speed sensor that needs replacing, the abs engages when almost stopped, are these obscenely expensive? and what kind of trouble to replace one?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear

It's a Quattro - everyone that I have had shudders a bit when making a tight turn.
It isn't as bad as the 4-wheel PU I once owned.

Quick Reply: new a6 owner with tranny problems