Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new a6 owner with tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Default new a6 owner with tranny problems

I recently purchased a 98 a6 quattro with transmission code dpt. when taking off, if you put it into tiptronic mode, there is no slippage until you get to 4 gear, and 5 slips as well, once driving more than a few hundred yards, the car goes into limp mode and won't allow you to shift at all. Reverse works fine. Upon inspection at a garage, there is a leak in the transmission fluid coming from somewhere, my best guess is a line somewhere. Does this mean the transmission is toast? I have found a second hand transmission with 6 month warranty for $1395.00, is it worth my while to price a rebuild? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

Does the transmission still slip with the correct amount of fluid in it? I think 1400.00 for a used transmission is too much. Here is a reman on ebay for 1700.00 (00-02). Call around, I'm not positive, but I thought a 98-02 used the same transmission.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REMAN...Q5fAccessories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP19_transmission

Welcome to the forums.

***if you use Bing Cashback via eBay, you will save ~125.00***

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM

I haven't heard back from the garage yet, apparently there was a small hole in the transmission pan. They are going to fix the hole, then fill the transmission up with fluid to see how it works, the car wasn't driven far after it started acting up, any ideas as to whether or not it burnt it up? hard question to ask I know, just hoping for good news I guess

Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

Once the PROPER fluid and level are done expect to feel a difference.
You never reported any DTC's - is the garage able to retrieve codes?
If not => handling ZF transmission might be out of reach for them.
In the worst case - rebuilt transmission, TC, labor shall have easily a combined $$$ beyond the value of the car...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

98 ??? make sure they know what they are doing when they refill the trans.. If it is like my 97 it takes special fluid and it has to be at the corect temp when you check the level.

The procedure is very specific.. and if done wrong will screw up the trans completely -- It's like attempting to change the TB without the correct tools..

Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Yes thats what the hold up now is, waiting for the proper fluid to arrive, living in rural nova scotia has its drawbacks for sure. The garage has downloaded the procedure as to how to fill the tranny and with what for fluid, he actually used to work at an audi dealer in halifax. Keeping my fingers crossed that once the fluid is brought back up to the right level, that the transmission no longer slips, I suspect I will know more once the transmission pan is removed, and we can see what is laying on it.

thanks for the replies, I will keep you posted as to how this plays out

Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

You may consider following:
- open the pan
-change filter
-put pan back
-fill in
-Drive 100km
- Drain -pan on
-fill in

Let us know the quantity and color of ATF drained out!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Sounds good, I will let you know what it looks like once drained. I couldn't detect a burnt smell from the fluid that had leaked under the car, so I am really keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to be a simple replace the pan and not the transmission.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM

OK, removed the old fluid, the mechanic tells me it looks and smell a little burnt, but there was no debris in the transmission pan, so I having him change the filter, and refill the transmission to the proper level. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will cure the problem. If not if any of you have any advice as to rebuild or replace the transmission, it will be greatly appreciated. I will let you know how it pans out after the fluid swap.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I have the same car, I'm curious what happened after you changed the fluid.

Quick Reply: new a6 owner with tranny problems