Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first problem with my car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

bsharp8,

Yes, that is what I was asking. I clicked on your link and got ... hell, I forget what I got, just NOT a 36 buck coil.

I am not looking for an entire coil pack, all 6 cyls. I have an indicated misfire on No. One, which, when I kick down, even when I turn onto a kinda freeway, gets the car to buck and snort, kinda badly. That kinda indicates that the "indication" on the reader is KINDA accurate.

Not to put you down, but the other guy who said to erase the code and try again. You said it fixed your problem. The other guy said erasing the code might erase the problem. I don't think the computer normally makes the car run wrong.

Anyhow, if you will, post me a pic of the coils and tell me how much you would need to send me 2 if they are the right thing. I really would like to get this sumbitch running like all my other Audis have, perfectly.

Oh, ****, not perfect, yet, I think I may need a thermostat, should have put it in when they changed the engine, as well as a water pump. Heater cools down when the car is at idle, and this is not the time to lose heat.

I must say this is the worst Audi I have ever had as to heating the cabin. All others to 1979 have roasted you out at "High" setting. This one is at most "comfortable", maybe a bit chilly.

Cheers,

George

Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Okay, I got you now. They have an ignition module that is more money than the ignition coil. Both of those items come up on the website that I sent you. Your car has 2 ignition modules, one for each bank. The ignition coil is what you need, that is what I paid $36 for. Let me try to get a picture today and I'll put it up for you. Also I was on Advance auto parts website last night and they have Niehoff brand coils for $25! You might want to check them out.

www.advanceautoparts.com

William

Last edited by bsharp8; 12-07-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

William,

I don't know what I am doing wrong at the Advance Auto parts site. Drill down in their menu and find these 2:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...searchfor=Coil
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...2fControl+Unit

Both those pages show way higher prices than you mention.

I hope that doesn't mean that your 2004 2.7 takes a way different and cheaper coil than my 1997 2.8. That doesn't sound Audi-like. Usually parts cost more the newer the car.

The site asks your Zip also. THAT could mean they charge more in different areas, but not 10 times more.

Coil per bank. I can't really recall but would almost swear that when the mech put my car back together, he showed me one coil pair (one of three), had a pinched wire, taped up, that he says the mech who worked on the car long before I bought it, screwed it down to the backplate with that wire under it. Saying that I THINK I recall that all 3 coils are mounted to the same mounting plate, NOT a pack per bank as you suggest above.

Better yet, I have a pic at: http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...P7120507-1.jpg

That shows you my coil pack. That too is my engine when the mechs put the new belt, tensioner and idler on to determine if my NOT broken TB had jumped and busted my valves.

Tensioner had split and cut parts of the belt got under it and it did jump time and bent 12 valves, broke 7 valve buckets, wound up replacing the engine. 2 weeks after I bought it, 500 miles. Luckily I demanded warranty, didn't realize I had paid for it, but don't care, now. They paid and the mech was not happy but accepted their payment as full.

If the belt HAD broken, it would have been specifically excluded from warranty and I'f be out about 1300. It DID sit in the garage damned near 2 months before the warrantors finally agreed to pay

But I digress. Do the coils in that photo look like what you bought? If so, and if you have the time, could you either buy another to go with yours and send me 2, or buy and mail 2 to me? Shipping is the least of my worries. USPS flat rate box is only about 9 bucks. No biggie. Best, I guess, would see if they are the same at your parts house, and if the same do either of the above ideas.

Mail or reply here whether you would be willing to do that. I will send you a check for the cost beforehand.

NH,
One of my Audis was a 79 5000 also with a big hole in the side of the block. About 91, when my youngest turned 16. Think I paid 250 for it. Motor cost me 250 about 40 miles North of here. Had it in and out in less than a day. My daughter drove it for maybe a month and lost it on a 90 degree back country road, lots of loose chips on it. Wound up about 100 feet into a yard crashing into a tree about 30 inch diameter. Car totaled, kid OK, passenger leaning down to the tape player got a 1/2 inch cut in her scalp from the slack in the seat belt and proximity to the windshield.

I think they are about as safe as any car on the road, or were, then. Next day, she came out onto the porch and, sounding like Oliver Swift asks, "Aren't I EVER going to get another car?" Kids!! What you gonna do with them? Next day I got her another, and that, too, was a stick shift. The only auto she had ever driven was in Driver's Ed.

Loved manuals. Love that girl, too. Boys at parties of classmates would come tell her that she was blocking someone else in that wanted to leave, "I'll move your car, if you want. OH, I forgot, your car is manual shift. I can't drive them.", or the time she was in a car with some of her friends and the driver stalled half a dozen times trying to pull out from a stop sign. "I wanted to ask him if he wanted me to drive!"

Mother to 2 of my most beautiful grandsons, today, and driving Japanese and Korean cars. So do my other daughters. I think they are rebelling against me. I like my German Audis, they like their Hondas, Hyundais, Daewoos, Toyotas.

Ah, well.

Cheers,

George

Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Oooh, yeah that is different. I think they changed them in '98 because mine has individual coils on each cylinder. Sorry about all of the confusion, I just didn't catch what year your car was until now. If you can't find them anywhere cheaper than the places I showed you I will be happy to get them for you. Once again sorry for the confusion.

William

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

William,

Please do. I would appreciate if you can see if your source has the ones I need for a reasonable price. When some of the other posters say something is a consumable I don't think they are speaking of 250, 300 bucks per coil on a motor that has 3 of them, and you should carry a spare.

That would be a request I would make of anyone else who can get me a MUCH less expensive coil (or 2) for my 1997 A6 2.8 Quattro. I put that in because it seems it has some affect on the cost of them, and you said that they changed their style in 98.

If the price you can get them for is reasonable, I would be grateful if you would see if you can buy 2 and tell me so, and I will, as I said, send you the cost plus shipping that you come up with.

I'm about ready to go to the boneyard I got the motor from and see what they want for a used one. My mileage is a little low on this car, and I think it would improve at least a little with 6 full time firing cylinders.

Thank you.

Cheers,

George