Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first problem with my car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Okay, just scanned it and got the code: P0302 Cyl. 2 misfire detected. That sounds like an ignition coil. I just replaced the spark plugs about 3 months ago so I doubt it's a plug.
I'm going to switch coils from another position and see if that solves it.

William

Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

William, it won't solve the problem. What it will do is transfer the mis-fire to another cylinder. There's no "if" anymore. Your cyl. 2 coil is dead. It's a very common problem with our cars.
Like formulagigi said, stock them. I bought two of them the toher day when one went bad for WHEN, not IF, the next one dies while I'm driving down the road.
Go get a new coil and put in in cyl. 2.
Thank me later

Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

What I meant was to switch them just to see if it transfers to another cylinder. Then I would be sure that's what it was. I didn't even do that, just got lazy. I'll buy a couple of coils Monday and replace the bad and have a spare. Thanks for your diagnosis, it was right on.

William

Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

I'm just glad someone can benefit from my similar mis-fortune. It "should" do the trick; I would be very surprised if it's not an instant repair. You'll still have to get the code "cleared" with the scanner so the CEL turns off, but the car will run like new right away.
Good luck! Let me know if that's the fix!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Hey jaymac, she's good to go! I got 2 coils today for $36 each, installed 1 in number 2 and she purrs like an Audi. I cleared the codes and it's running fine. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. And thanks to others who responed as well. On a side note I installed some 710n's over the weekend. I don't know if it's just me or what but the car seems ferocious now. Do these operate any different than the stock ones or am I imagining it.

William

Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

MY guess is MAF, as I just replaced mine for the same problem. It was telling the ECU that 8 times as much air was coming in as there really was. This led to way too much fuel which was burning off on the CAT. Hope that gelps.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

rotten egg smell is from a bad cat, i thought...

Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

bsharp8,

Mind telling me where you got a module for 36 bucks? I have a scan that #1 has a misfire, intermittent, and do not want to pay the prices I have found with a Google. Way higher than that, though they are complete units.

I bought an 80 buck scanner for 60 at Harbor Freight. It shows codes that my mech's Snap-On scanner will not unless he goes for a couple hundred for the key to allow his machine to read European codes.

I have a poor shift problem, and a misfire prob, and those both show on the HF scanner. Do NOT show on his couple thou scanner.

Cheers,

George

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear

George,

Search the forum for info about RossTech and the freebe VAGCom software solution. Add a simple cable and a computer to get a good way to read and reset the codes.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

gmatov, I got it from a local parts store in Northern Va. I work for Interstate Batteries and one of our dealers got me a good deal on a couple.

Quick Reply: My first problem with my car...