Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My breaks are squeaking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My breaks are squeaking!

ORIGINAL: cr!mz

I heard there's some spray for this... someone has experience ?[&:]
I knew someone who tried it, but it didn't make a difference....but then again it was on a Dodge Dakota so it is hard to say (he went through three sets of brakes in 4 years and all of them squeaked).

The whole idea of the spray is actually to spray the back of the pads while installing them - it is supposed to reduce vibration and they claim the vibration is actually what causes the squeak. I have my doubts about it however, because if it really worked as well as they claim every pad manufacturer in the world would have it sprayed on in the factory.

My A6 squeaks a little from time to time but nothing major and two shops have both told me the pads and rotors are fine, so it isn't bad enough for me to replace them. The only time it is REALLY loud is when it has sad in the garage overnight after getting full of snow etc...then when backing out it is absolutely horrid. It is actually to the point that I try to back in my garage when I know the brakes are wet because I know the next morning they will squeal. I assume it has to do with the rust that forms on the rotors overnight, but I really don't know for sure. I do know it only happens when backing up and it only happens the first time I back up....after a few forward stops if I back up the problem doesn't exist, so again it isn't bad enough for me to bother replacing brakes.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

my brakes are horrible aswell ... I put some anti-vib creme on the back of the pads and they were ok for about 100 miles! it could be bad clips I havent tried replacing them I plan on upgrading to brembro bc pretty soon i wont be able to stop with the stock brakes LOL... I had slotted and drilled rotors on an S4 i used to have and they scream untill you get them warmed up ... all in all id recommend a slotted and drilled rotor all around with ceramic pads ... the ceramic pads will produce less visible dust and handle heat better and the drilled holes in the rotors will allow dust to travel out the back of the rim not stick to the front ... thats a win win situation on any European car

Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

Hawk Blues and be done.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

NH_USA, you need to take a vacation. I think you may have a mild case of "Kaben Feber"

Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Poor Person

NH_USA, you need to take a vacation. I think you may have a mild case of "Kaben Feber"
I am on a perpetual vacation that gets interupted by brief periods of work, sleep, and eating.
As for Kaben Feber -- My Kaben is Kool without any Feber. But my Feber becomes a bit ***** when I attempt to control it.