Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My A6 is a lemon Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Default RE: My A6 is a lemon Help

For information on the MMI control unit see http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a6i.../content.shtml
If you have a laptop computer, then you can get a VAG-COM cable from www.ross-tech.com, however you would also need the Audi manual on CD from www.themotorbookstore.comor www.bentleypublishers.com, for a 2005 Audi A6.
The coolant box could be replaced by any mechanic. However, the Multi Media Interface may be one of those electronic systems which are prone to failure, and are so new that the dealers don't know what is wrong, so they replace the MMI control unit. Also note that some of the fuses on Audis are hidden, and not listed in the owners manual. So, if the MMI went completely dead, you could have a blown fuse, but be unable to find it. If you had a blown fuse there could be a wiring problem.
You may ask for a quote on a used MMI control unit from shokan.com, but which type of MMI do you have? There are MMI Basic, MMI Basic Plus and MMI, per the above audiworld.
As I have two 1998 and one 1996 Audi's I don't have the CD for 2005, so I don't know ifMMI isincluded on the CD. You could contact Bentley to see if the MMI is included on the CD.
It also helps if you say exactly what is the problem with the MMI, or else nobody can help. What exactly is the malfunction. Does the screen go blank? is it intermittent? What functions don't work anymore. Is it therotary, push-in control button, orthe control keys arranged around the control button? Did any one spill any liquids on these? Is it the function keys or return keynext to the screen? Write down all of the defects and give to the mechanic. If the next Audi dealer can't do any better, then what will you do? You may decide to take the 1/2 price on the MMI control unit, rather than a used unit.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

I just wanted to share with everyone what kind of hassle it has been for me. I still have a car I am copy pasting the offer the dealer has given me. I have called area news papers to get the help from the fixers and filed a bbb complaint. I am going to make signs and sit in front of the median on a Saturday and hurt there sales. I have had it living n a world where the customer constanlty gets screwed. No I am committed to hurt there sales

This letter is to put into writing that Audi has offered goodwill assistance for the repairs needed on your 2005 A^ Audi has offered good will of 50% of all parts on both the mmi interface and heater core repairs. they will also apply $2178.99 that is the total of your estimate towards the purchase of a new Audi. The break down of repairs are as follows mmi interface labor 649.75 parts, 1445.50 tax 112.03 and the total is 1484.53 Audi will pay 722.77 of the MMI the heater core labor is 389.85 parts and 565.39 total 694.46 audi is payin 282.70 heater core.

GOD I NEED HELP SOMEONE !!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear

Coolant box vs heater core is a big difference.

Remember your asking them to fix a 3 year old car with 64K on the clock

Is the offer from the dealer or Audi?
If it is the dealer you can continue to ask Audi for help just make sure to tell them what you want and that it is reasonable -such as no-charge for the parts. But make it reasonable.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear

Wow. This went from ugly to a disaster. Seems like whoever you're asking to fix this problem REALLY hoesn't want to do it without making money some how. Sad. Good luck with the newspaper and such man.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 PM

When the heater core fails on on many differentmakes of automobiles and trucks,it is the labor and not the part thatis expensive.The reasons for failure, include corrosion, overheating, electrolysis, and usingantifreezewhichdoes not meet Audi/VW specification for your 2005 A6. The reason the labor is high is that the heater core is inside ofan air handling box, where it may be difficult to access, without an instruction manual, some tools and skill.Also, the coolantbox or container is usually clear plastic and has a screw cap for adding coolant.
You could contact Bentley to see if their CD service manual covers the MMI control unit. Perhaps the MMI software and service manual are proprietary. You could also contact ross-tech about this MMI issue, to see if they have any information.
You really need to ask for an extended warranty on any MMI work done, or consider trading it in for a non-MMI. Also, what you propose doing, by escallating your conflict with both the dealer and Audi, may result in severe legal consequenses, which may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Also, consider that it may actually hurt your reputation, and result in even more severe problems, such as emotional breakdown, which sometimes is caused by legal fees, etc.
So, if you really hate the MMI, then negotiate a deal for a non-MMI car, with about the same or less mileage, with an extended warranty.