Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions

One last thought (IF it's not too late) Rob -

Make sure you've got the "small stuff" covered by the seller as well...

When I found my car and entered into those last few minutes of haggling, I noted that the car only came with ONE key. I haggled another $250 reduction to cover that cost (it ended up costing $210).

I had luckily noticed the reflective safety triangle in the trunk lid was also missing.....the dealer found another one in one of his other A6's.

Lastly, As I was driving my "new baby" home, I noticed that, strangely enough, the factory floor mat for the driver's side was missing!!

Don't know how that happened, but now I've got some wierd, cheap non-original generic floor mat in place of the nice Audi brand mat. It will be interesting to see where I can pick up JUST the driver's mat...

Just a few things to consider....there's always SOMETHING that one can easily miss, so in a forum like this, the more people who tell their stories, the better off everyone else is...

Shoman

Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, I put a deposit down yesterday. I didn't check the number of keys but I'll make sure I get at least two at no extra cost. They have all the carpet mats and triangle and med kit in there and he is giving me winter rubber mats for free. I still want to check and make sure I get a user manual.

As for winter driving I've driven both my dad's A4 3.0 quattro and mom's A8 4.2 quattro and they were both had extremely good handling providing you have winter tires.

I knew fuel would be high cost. I do a lot of highway driving in to work everyday and my dad claims the A8 4.2 gets much better highway mileage then his A4. But in the city starting and stopping 4024 pounds all the time is going to be costly.

I'm for sure going to order the H-sport. Does tire rack ship to canada? Do you know of anywhere in Canada to get it?

Also, do you know if there are any difficults to putting in an after market alarm/starter, probably a compustar. I really liked the one in my old car.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 AM
2nd Gear

Rob,

If you're still keen on getting H-Sports, there's a great buy available through month end. Here's the link on the details: Discounted H-Sports

Also, I think we missed answering your question about the front plate... Those holes are a bear to fix. I'd recommend coming up with a front decorative plate that works for you (maybe the Audi rings?). Will be easier and more effective then trying to hide them. Unless you want to have a body shop tackle it...

Good luck with finalizing your purchase. Be sure to post some pics after you get her home.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I was actually looking at that store. I sent them an email yesterday to see it they'll ship to Canada.

That's also what I was thinking. I want to put a black plate with the Audi rings on the front. Know where I can get one?

Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear

Check eBay. Also, try the Audi of America site -- they sell some stuff there and this might just be on the list. Good luck with it.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, Audi of America has exactly what I'm looking for but expensive and they might not ship to Canada. The Audi Canada store doesn't have them. Ebay has the chrome one but not the black one. I didn't spend too much time looking though.

That H-sport deal is only until fri then? I guess I should phone them if they don't reply soon.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear

You've got mail...

Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Congrats on deciding on the 4.2 I had a 2001 2.7T before I bought my 2002 4.2, and I have to say the 4.2 is mroe of a head-turner than the 2.7T, even though I had LOTS of mods on the 2.7T.

As far as fuel economy, I tend to have a heavy foot, and my daily commute is a mix of in-town traffic and highway rush hours, with pockets of open highway where I get up to 80-90 MPH. My gas mileage has averaged around 16 MPG. Not much worse than my 2.7T, the same commute I averaged in the mid-17s. I bought the 4.2 in Chicago January and drove it home to Boston, averaging on the highway 80MPH or so, and i got about 22MPG.

Anyway, for a list of stuff you can do to your car, check out my registry page...I've done a few things...

Boston Driver's Registry Page

Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver

...I've done a few things...
Now THAT is an understatment! LOL. BD is one of the masters.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver

Anyway, for a list of stuff you can do to your car, check out my registry page...I've done a few things...

Boston Driver's Registry Page
Yeah, I was actually looking at that yesterday. Where did you find the Carbon Fiber trim and Nav unit? I would love to do those mods but I'm guessing getting them from the dealer is going to cost way too much.

First I'm going to get the sway bars.

Before I crashed my old car I had RMA'd one of my HID bulbs (H7) and I told the guy not to send the replacement yet so I might get him to send a 6000k bulb I can use for the A6 and then buy another one and replace the old ones which I'm guessing are around 4100k. Would that be easy to do? I can get D2S and D2R bulbs or most of the halogen size bulbs.

I also have some JL Audio stuff I salvaged from the old car that I might put in. XR650CSi's, 12W3, and a 450/4. They got shook around in the crash but they should still work. I installed them myself in the old car but it was a lot of work so I don't know if I'm up for it again. I also have a 4 channel David Navone LOC which is supposed to be one of the best you can get. Should I use that or get that yellow plug thing with RCAs? I would put the LOC behind the headunit since it's 4 channel I would need to splice the front and rear channels.

I might get VAG-COM. Can you program the remote with the shareware version?

I'm also thinking about tint, smoked tail lights, LED interior map lights (which I already have some 194 bulbs), license plate frame, pedals, and front vanity plate which Audi sells so I'm going to call my dealer and see if he'll sell it to me at cost.

Maybe exhaust. I haven't looked at the exhaust yet so I don't know what's on there.

That should keep me going for the next year or so.

Quick Reply: might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions