Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions

I'm comfortable with tools and I've installed entire sound systems and wiring in cars before but never anything under a car. Plus I don't really have a lift or jack stands.

After reading some more about the sway bars it looks like I'm going to take one more look at the A6 and make sure I'll be happy with the interior and then go with that.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Alright, went back, I've pretty much decided on the A6. He told me they purchased the car around $25-$26,000, repaired some stuff bringing the cost upto $27,391.42 plus $2,295 for warrenty makes their cost $29,686.42 and he'll sell it to me for $31,000 which is just under 5% profit for them. I don't know the sales guy but my dad has dealt with him lots before and believes he is being honest about the prices.

Still have a few questions. What's the gas mileage like on the 4.2? Right now I mostly do highway driving but I'll be moving into the city within the year. I accept that it's not going to be great but my dad keeps claiming his 4.2 A8 gets much better mileage then his 3.0 A4.

Can I get those h-sport sway bars in Canada?

Thanks for all your help. I should be putting a deposit down tonight.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I got my A6 2.7t 2001 in Canada for 15,000$CAD so your thought he is only making 5% is being optamistic!

BTW 120KM and NO Issues or body damage after 4 months of ownership
Clean title
All service records
1 owner

Sorry bout your luck

Old 06-23-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, but this is a 4.2 with every possible addition/option and warrenty. I think the same dealer has a 2003 2.7T for under $27,000CAN.

Also, the sales guy is actually the sales manager for new cars and he only makes a set amount on the sale whatever I pay (not that that means he doesn't want to make more money for the dealship) and my parents and two of their friends have all bought audi's from him.

Anyway, I realize I'm probably paying more than I might be able to else where. But as it stands my old car was totaled so I have no transportation and I live on an acreage so it's not like there's public transportation I can use. This car has the options I want and is in the color I want and is in perfect shape except those scratches so I'm going for it.

And if I do regret it I'm sure I'll find another sucker like myself to take it off my hands.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask if any of you have removed the license plate frame from the front bumper. They're not required where I am so I'd like to remove it but the dealer said there would be big holes in the bumper. Is there any plugs available or does anyone have any ideas of what to put in the frame if I can't remove it?

Old 06-23-2006, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Rob,

YOU ultimately hav to be the one that decides if this car is worth it. My only question at this point is, have you thoroughly searched for similar cars on autotrader.com and cars.com. These two sites will have a lot of comparables you can look at to get a feel for whether or not you're being offered the right price. As you point out, options, engine, etc. will factor into price. I paid $21.9 for a fully loaded 2001 2.7T. Some people might say that was a bit high, but it only had 28k miles on it. WELL worth the two or three grand extra compared to similar cars of that year that had over twice the mileage.

So, IF you've done your reseach and are confident the price is right, go for it. That said...

I think this sounds like it may be a little high. Take the dealer's comments with a HUGE grain of salt. They will always tell you "how much they have into it" and moan about not making a killing. Nothing wrong with this -- it's their job to make as much as they can. It's YOUR job to get the lowest price you can for the car you want. Only way to do that is to thoroughly research your options. know what you want, and be willing to walk away if you have any concerns about the price. There WILL be another one down the road if this one does not work out. There are a bazillion of these coming off lease (VERY popular lease car).

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I checked autotrader and the local paper, I think cars.com is US only. There's only two 4.2's that I could find in the entire province. One was a 2000 with no options, really high mileage, no warrenty and ugly color for $20,000 the other was a 2001 with 120,000kms and most of the options, not sport for $28,000 with a warrenty but from a used car lot so who knows how good the warrenty is. Both of these are over 300km away from me as well. There were also some 2003 and 2005 models but they were all over $45,000.

There are some 2.7's and a few 3.0's for cheaper but one of the reasons I'm looking at the A6 is the look of the 4.2.

I'm going to sleep on it tonight (the dealer closes in 10 min anyway) and maybe wait until monday. Then I'll see if I can get him down a little more.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

I bought my 2001 4.2 A6 quattro for $21, 995 USD and it only had 46,680 miles. It is fully loaded too with all the options. The car was practically in perfect condition. I love the car and it is real fun to drive so i'm sure you'll love it, especially with the triptonic. This car is definately worth the purchase. I have no regrets. Just see if you can get it at a better deal though.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear

Rob,

Sounds like you've done your homework. If the only reason you're ruling out the 2.7T is the appearance of the 4.2, here's something to consider... You can add the door blades from the 4.2 to the 2.7T (something I'll be doing shortly). Doesn't give you the nice, wider fender flares, but it is a step in that direction. Cost is about $250 US + the cost of having them painted. EASY DIY job (other than the painting).

It sounds like you may have found your car, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case it helps you open up your options.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

Man o Man - Southboro you are RIGHT ON!

Rob - you asked about mileage on the 4.2.....well, you've got to know that it's gonna be BAD.

I have a moderately heavy foot, and find that I'm consistently getting only around 13-14 miles per gallon. Interestingly enough, I seem to get slightly better mileage (maybe around 1 MPG) BETTER mileage when using TIPTRONIC! Of course, with the high-compression engine, you should be opting for HIGH OCTANE fuel - a bit more money as well.

Southboro - you are also correct about all that damn weight in the 4.2 A6....my 2001 AUDI brochure lists the weight as 4024 pounds, as opposed to the 2.7T coming in at 3759 (Manual) or 3836 (Automatic)...That's a LOT of mass to be moving around, so it's not gonna be a GREAT handling car, especially compared to it's lighter, nimbler A4 brethren. (The S4 is a MUCH better handling car!).

As for how you can improve the handling of ANY A6, the H-sports are a great Bang for the Buck addition. With such few aftermarket parts for the 4.2, this one is a no-brainer for this heavyweight. (After searching the internet, the best price around was Tirerack, believe it or not!) I myself didn't have the time to put them in myself, and a local front end shop in my area offered to install them for around $140, so I went ahead and had them do it. The difference was immediately apparent, with more controlled body lean and a slightly stiffer ride (very slight). I love the difference. Now all I need is a good set of tires (soon!), and I'll be happy, at least for now.

One last thought - Since I've never owned an Audi (and Quattro drive), I cannot say just how well the slightly heavier 4.2 will behave in the snow, but a co-worker has a 1999 A6 2.8 with 176k on the odometer, and he said he was able to drive through a virginal, non-plowed parking lot in NJ last year (in about 6 inches of snow) while his wife couldn't make it through with her Cherokee (and his 2.8 was without snow tires!!) To date (I've only had my car since March), the quattro drive is very impressive - pure traction in ALL rain conditions encountered thus far. I dislike winter because of the limitations it has placed on my driving, but I think that may well be a thing of the past with my "Silver Bullet" A6 4.2

Hope you choice serves you well Rob!

Shoman

Quick Reply: might get 2001 A6 4.2 today, some questions