Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key in door doesn't lock all doors, but unlocks them fine.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Talking

Well, I have to say, sometimes I amaze even myself. Went to the junkyard this morning. I found not one, NOT TWO, but THREE A6s!!!!!!! (Well, an A6 and two audi 100s, same thing). I was astounded.

My other car is a corrado (hence the user name), so I'm used to looking through eight cars to find one thing I CAN use. Here's a list of things I picked up.
  • Heater controls (SOME buttons wouldn't work on mine)
  • Power seat control (#1 button was broke on mine)
  • Lock cylinder on drivers side
  • Misc. door hardware that I may or may not have broken on my way in to my door...
  • Rubber pieces that stop door panel from vibrating
  • Misc relays

I was SOOO happy!

So I get home, and the first thing I do is switch the heater controls. Start the car and.... DANG!!! They're orange instead of red... So, I go about dissecting them. I switch parts from one to the other and a half hour later, BAM! Red lights on the heater controls (which now work). It'll be nice to be able to turn the temp up or the fan down. (My temp + button didn't work, and my fan - button didn't work).

So, by that time it was getting dark, and I didn't want to mess around with the door when it was dark, so I took the two lock cylinders inside. I think about it for a few seconds, and instead of taking the plastic thing off that I actually needed, I decide to switch the actual key cylinder. I figured I'd break the plastic clips on the plastic thing. It was actually VERY easy to switch the key cylinders. It was one clip, and it came right out. Now, putting the whole assembly back together was a bit tricky, certain points in the gear of the cylinder have to mesh up with certain points in the plastic gear, and doing that is a pain (it won't work any other way), but eventually I got it. Tested it with the multimeter, and when I turn the key one way, the middle pin and right pin is connected, when I turn it the other way, the middle pin and left pin is connected. I might feel up to posting pics later. I'm beat right now.

I'm a very happy person right now.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it would probably be very easy to rip a key cylinder thing out of a car if you had some way to attach to it. It was literally a half a mm of tiny clip holding the thing in. (Starts researching alarms for cars...)

Last edited by corrado33; 11-20-2010 at 05:35 PM.