Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought 1997 a6: new tranny and tires, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

As for the MP3 player - there is an option I purchased used for my 2000 avant called a phatbox. I don't think you can get them new any more but you should be able to ebay it. It basically replaces the CD changer with an MP3 device that sites wear the CD changer used to. Very cool device in that it lets you carry all your music with you and it has a voice that tells you what artist and song... is playing so you can find music without taking your eyes off the road.

This is a link for Phatnoise

http://www.phatnoise.com/

Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM

I've had my 1997 A6Q since 2000 and I love it. Every morning it starts for me - hot or cold.

A few pointers:
If you don't excercise the e-brake, the calipers will seize. This can be inconvienent when it happens at the inspection station (if your state has this check.) That just cost me $700.

your side-view mirors should defrost with your back window. If they don't, pop one out and there should be an electrical wire running to it. If so, replace the mirrors. It's a small expense for a big convienence.

Make sure you give care to lubing the sunroof slides. I didn't and I have some broken pieces now.

CD Changer. People still use CD's??? Oh well. I changed my stereo out to a Pioneer DEH P700BT. That is the Premier version of the P7000BT. It comes with USB/full iPod support, A2DP Bluetooth, CD/MP3 CD support and you wouldn't belive how good those crappy little nokia speakers can sound.

A mic for the BT hands-free is included and the sound quality is decent. I ran mine up along the A-Pillar, but it doesn't use the factory mic windscreen, yet. and for those of you who like commercials, it even has an AM/FM tuner. I prefer to stream music through my phone

Radio removal tool kits, harnesses and even the radio are available on ebay. If you're not sure with tool to use (hint: long, narrow and flat, one edge tapers nearly to a point,) get the complete kit. Most of the faceplates suck, so good luck there.

My power steering went out a long time ago, but I never much cared for it -seemed sloppy and almost American car-ish compared to my 4k/5k/100.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.