Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod and navigation integrations with 2007 A6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default iPod and navigation integrations with 2007 A6

I just bought a "new to me" 2007 A6, which unfortunately does not have factory installed iPod integration or navigation. I am looking for advice on what aftermarket products I could have installed to integrate seamlessly with the MMI. For the iPod I'd like to employ steering wheel controls and view song lists etc on screen. For the navigationI'd like to displayreal time traffic data on the screen as well as get turn by turn instructions delivered through the main stereo speakers.

2 products I have indentified as possible candidates are the Dension Gateway 500 for iPod integration and the Garmin GVN 53 fornavigation.

Anyone have experience with either or both of these together? Any other recommended equipment?

I'dalso likea back-up camera activated by putting car into reverse, althoughI am concerned about integrating too many after-market components into the system. Any lessons from experience much appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: iPod and navigation integrations with 2007 A6

Make sure you find a decent installer to get Dension or any other system installed. Some installers can screw up the entire system if they dont know what the hell they are doing. Navigation cannot be installed on your MMI (unless someone tells you otherwise)
Good Luck

Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

Audi electronics are very "sensitive", i.e. "suspect". As a result, I would try to limit the aftermarket items and stick to dealer installeditems. When I bought my 05 4.2 three years ago I had the dealer install a dvd player and screens.I had an MMI issue and the service department tried to blame the dvd player and asked me "what hackinstalled the dvd player" because it fried the MMI. When I told them that they had installed the dvd playerthey became very sheepish. Theyhad the car for about 10 days. When I picked up the car they had an invoice/report that was 187 pages longdetailing their efforts to repair the MMI. I can only imagine what the bill would have been had they been able to blame it on my dvd player. I suggest that you leave the electronics alone. If you want an Audi with Nav, IPOD and back-up camera, I suggest that you wait until you find one equipped that way, or just buy it new.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

OK, based on the wise advice obtained here I have abandoned all thoughts of aftermarket navigation or back-up camera. I identified2 options for aftermarketiPod integration. The dealer will do it with Audi parts for, sit down, $1,350! I have also found a reputable car stereo shop who will install a NAV-TV product for $850. Details of the NAV-TV product here: http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_ipod.php.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, using this product? I'd hate to drop an extra $500 just for peace of mind that product is Audi installed, although I'll hate it worse if the electronics for the car get all f***ed up and I void warranty. Just how sensitive are the Audi electronics? The car stereo guy, of course, says I have nothing to worry about, just not sure I can trust him due to obvious conflict of interest.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear

We are all in different economic situations, but I would pay the extra $500 to have Audi install the ipod. Of course I am one of the gray haired members of the forum who purchased my 05 4.2 new, not used.