Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I get my 4.2 to sound mean as hell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: how do I get my 4.2 to sound mean as hell?

I would not take the mufflers out. You are going to have some issues with performance. I would just get a set of aftermarket mufflers and if that doesn't get you the sound that you want, they can do something with the front of the system as well. I think you can get something set up at a good exhaust shop for around $600. You could also go with a full custom system?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

i didnt say anything about it being good for your car but you will get a sick sound.

as for just replacing the mufflers, check out flowmaster's new "super 44" series mufflers. its supposed to be the "the Most Aggressive, Deepest Sounding, Most Powerful Muffler ever made". i thought it sounded pretty sweet. here:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/44_super.html

Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 AM

I would ask Midasabout the flowmasters, I thought they were only good for muscle cars and trucks.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 AM
1st Gear

Check out the vid in my sig and let me know if you like the sound of it and I will point you in the right direction

Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jsgrabo

i didnt say anything about it being good for your car but you will get a sick sound.

as for just replacing the mufflers, check out flowmaster's new "super 44" series mufflers. its supposed to be the "the Most Aggressive, Deepest Sounding, Most Powerful Muffler ever made". i thought it sounded pretty sweet. here:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/44_super.html
That did sound really good. I'm interested for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

Check out the vid in my sig and let me know if you like the sound of it and I will point you in the right direction
That was sick man. Let me know where and how I can get that sound.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Bingo. X pipes balance the pressure pulses coming from the different cylinders. The location of the x-pipe in the exhaust stream can affect HP and TQ. Fairly modestly for street purposes, but more significantly for tracked cars.

I didn't like the AWE track, belt whine and burble....don't see the point in a 300HP sedan posing as a 400HP street scrapper or a 500HP track beast...but that's just me....links to my vids are posted earlier on this forum.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

X-pipe does "balance" per se the exhaust coming from the cylinder banks. One bank fires,it goes oneway. The other bank fires, it goes the other way. Because this happens so fast, a type of vortex is somewhat created which in turn sucks the exhaust from the cylinder banks furtherlesseningpressure in the cylinder whichhelps it move easier and quicker.

-Courtesy of watching Horsepower TV this past weekend.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

a) it will run better on any car with no exhaust/mufflers/etc, no restriction= easier flow=more hp, c'on man, u should know this better since u drive 2.7t; b)not that significant if you want to go faster; c)that's if you delete the cats , the CO2 sesor are right after the cat before the resonator, deleting the mufflers has nothing to do with CEL.
just my 2 cents
ORIGINAL: ppgoal
Don't be amazed if, after you rip off the mufflers, your A6 a) doesn't run as well, b) gets worse gas mileage, and c) throws codes. Among other things, mufflers provide backup compression for the engine.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

heres the flowmaster 44's on a 2.8:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&plindex=0
im sureit would sound even sicker on a 4.2

Quick Reply: how do I get my 4.2 to sound mean as hell?