Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage 2005 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

You have a tough (fun?) choice. The $ delta is due to the potential risk of the higher mileage car -- wear and tear = repair expense. If you know the car/driver and can get hold of the service records (and they show regular servicing), then that reduces the risk. I'm a firm believer that highway mileage induces almost no wear on a car as long as the oil is changed regularly.

That said, your other choice is color. Do you have a preference and is silver worth $4500?

I bought my 2003 with 37k miles in April 2005 and now have 160k. Almost all highway miles. Replaced clutch and flywheel, alternator, and front axle boots. Still on original battery, shocks, suspension, etc. TB replaced at 90k. Turbos are my only concern -- the car still runs like a dream and is stable and very comfortable at high speeds. It is outstanding in snow.

As pointed out, the 2005s and newer are rated at better quality than the 2003-04 and much better than the <2003 models.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
So if a person has little or no money and they own an Audi they are brainless. That goes double for midwest folks, PA guys, Cali freeks, and dummies from NH.. But we love our Audis!!
Heyyyyyyyyy, now...
Actually after working on it you start getting those good neuron connections and start realizing what $hit you got yourself into.
The sad part is that the... affection toward the damn car grows exponentially

Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Kevin didn't purchase an Audi - he purchased Lemonaid in a can that looks like an Audi --- but his final comments strike at the heart of most Audi owners. He said "Despite the issues with the car, I think that it is a great driving car." and he would buy it all over again. His "More Money than Brains" club has many members - some with very little money and proportionally less brains.
Its funny I don't think of the car as a being a lemon. It is just a little tempermental. Perhaps I am just drinking the cool-aid.

In addition, since I drive past the dealer every day on my way to work it is very convenient to drop off the car and pick up a loaner.

You also have to remember that 335HP with Quattro is a lot of fun to drive.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

I have chosen the black one with higher miles. I figured I know the guy who drove it, I called the dealer and they said he did everything to it and it has never had any problems. The owner said all he ever had to do was put in some windshield washer fluid once. It's almost all highway miles. When I drive the car it feels like its brand new and tight. And it has a few more options that I like, HID lights, bluetooth, and a few other things.

Thanks alot agiain for the input. I've driven it for a few days, it's only got one issue, or maybe I have the issue. I cannot move the steering wheel. It's a manual adjustable wheel, and when I release the lever, it won't move. It's OK where it is, but I was curious if anyone else had this??

Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
If #1 was taken care of, AND already has its Timing Belt service done, save the $5k and get it.... #2 is due for alot of maintenance on top of its higher price.
this is what i was gonna say.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

I cannot move the steering wheel. It's a manual adjustable wheel, and when I release the lever, it won't move. I
Isnt there 2? One for tilt, another for telescope?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear

I though that would get a rise outa Chefro -- Please notice that I included the Cali freeks and PA guys. I left the FL guys off the list cause all they they are concerned with is reattaching their headliner.

Kevin - I carefully chose the word Lemonaid cause there is a lot of sweetness that goes with the opportunities to swear and belong to the more money than brains club.

Tilt and telescope -- My Audi has two handles like Midniteoyl says -One on the left and one on the right. I'm just the brain dead guy in the middle...

Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM

On the 05 model there is only one lever. The lever releases, but the column does not move. I'll take another look at it.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
4th Gear

2005 Audi A6 Interior Features

-Leather covered electrically adjustable multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment
Sure your doing it right? Doesnt yours have memory too?