Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Carfax for an Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help With Carfax for an Audi A6

ORIGINAL: Costner

ORIGINAL: tmgolfx360

He has the right to look up all the vehicles he wants how he wants to use that for him or for someone else is totally up to him. CarFax knows this happens and believe me they are doing fine. It is 100% different than sneaking someone under an insurance policy.
100% dead wrong.

Here is the agreement directly from the Carfax website:

I agree to pay a one-time charge of $29.99 (USD), plus applicable sales tax, according to my card issuer agreement. This 30 day Unlimited CARFAX Reports Plan is valid for 30 days from the date the first report is run, and is intended for my personal use only. Commercial use, resale and redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited. "Commercial Use" is defined as use by persons engaged in the business of researching, buying and/or selling of automobiles, the resale or redistribution of Reports, or any other business purpose as determined by CARFAX, Inc. Indicators of Commercial Use may include, an excessive number of reports run during a specific time period.
ANY COMMERCIAL USE OF CARFAX VEHICLE HISTORY REPORTS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND ANY SUSPECTED COMMERCIAL USE WILL LEAD TO THE SUSPENSION OF YOUR ACCOUNT, UNTIL YOU PROVIDE SUFFICIENT PROOF THAT YOUR USE IS PURELY PERSONAL; FAILURE TO DO SO PRIOR TO THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT WILL RESULT IN THE DEACTIVATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT, WITHOUT REFUND AND MAY RESULT IN LEGAL ACTION. PROOF OF PERSONAL USE MAY INCLUDE; DETAILING HOW YOU ARE USING THE CARFAX ACCOUNT AND SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF THE SITES OR LOCATIONS WHERE YOU ARE FINDING THE VEHICLES THAT ARE BEING OFFERED FOR SALE. THE DETERMINATION OF PERSONAL USE IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF CARFAX, INC. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO IMPOSE, AND YOU AGREE TO PAY TO CARFAX, INC., AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE OF $24.99 FOR EACH CARFAX VEHICLE HISTORY REPORT THAT CARFAX, INC. DEEMS WAS ACCESSED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.
I agree that my CARFAX Report purchase also shall be governed by all the Terms and Conditions of use of the CARFAX Web Site. If you purchased the Unlimited Account and are not 100% satisfied you qualify for a refund if:
> You have not, nor has any member of your household, received a refund from CARFAX within the last 12 months.
> You have run two or less CARFAX Reports on the Account.
> Your refund is requested within 30 days of purchase.
> A refund will not be provided if you have used the CARFAX Report or service for commercial purposes or otherwise violated the terms of use.
So again, what part of "personal use" is so hard to understand? Sure Carfax knows this is happening, but the RIAA knows people download MP3s from Limewire too....do you think they are ok with it?

This website isn't intended for people to start stealing from Carfax or anyone else. When people do so, it tarnishes the reputation of us all as if we condone this type of behavior. Those who do condone this or don't speak out against it have proven they have no respect for the rights and property of others, and thus I'm going to make it clear that I, as well as many who have stated these same points previously, do NOT agree with posting information obtained illegally.
Costner,

I think your point is valid. If you would have stated that in the first place I would have understood where you were coming from.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rock

Well no... I'm the friend. I bought the carfax report and now it belongs to me. It would have been the same if I printed it out and sent it to him. If I borrow my buddy's Dewalt drill I'm not stealing from Dewalt. I'm just not buying a drill at that time. (Those things are expensive! Worth it though)
Problem is, those reports don't "belong" to you....you are paying for a service and a service that is non transferable to others per the Carfax agreement.

"Personal Use" huh? Must have missed that when I didn't read the agreement.
Ignorance is no excuse. If you "didn't read" that speed limit sign that said 40 and you were driving 55 do you think the police officer is going to let you go since you missed it?

Didn't think so.

In any case, to me, it's not that big of a deal. I see that some of you are a little upset about it. Some of the members here are a little uptight.I'm beginning to think that there are a few people that work for carfax.com that visit this site. That or your just EXTREME capitalists.

Most of you guys are cool though...
You are probably right that it isn't that big of a deal, but as I said previously I'm not about to just keep quiet when I see it because if I did work for or own Carfax I would be pretty upset that someone was stealing from me, and if someone was stealing from me I would hope someone, somewhere would stand up and do the right thing.

Maybe I'm a rare breed these days, but I'm also the guy who will write down a license plate number of someone who backs into a car in the parking lot and drives off, or the type of guy who will ask if I can be of any assistance to the guy going from car to car checking for unlocked doors. You might not care one way or another, but if it was your car involved I'm sure you would be thankful.

Bottom line is we will not see eye to eye on this and it makes no sense to argue about it online with someone I don't know. Thank you for your opinion though. I don't agree with it but I respect it.
You don't have to agree with me obviously, but I hope you will at least admit what you are doing is technically against the agreement you entered into with Carfax. Maybe your word isn't important to you so you just don't care.....but if Carfax ever did search these websites and found that VIN and the date they would know which account pulled it....and they could legally charge you for it, so if nothing else I'm just trying to save you the hassle.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

I think your point is valid. If you would have stated that in the first place I would have understood where you were coming from.
Sorry....I could have been more clear.

Like you said....not that big of a deal and I don't want you to think that I disrespect you for doing it. We've all been there...and you were just trying to help out. I'm just trying to explain my position.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Costner

Sorry....I could have been more clear.

Like you said....not that big of a deal and I don't want you to think that I disrespect you for doing it. We've all been there...and you were just trying to help out. I'm just trying to explain my position.
I don't feel disrespected at all. I DO agree with you that it's not a good idea to post those reports here.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Bury this please!!!!!! he chose to give the VIN, its on him.... Move on to helping, which I beleive is what we try to do here right? Even at cadillac forums, this comes up, and the same thing happens.... this thread is going to be never ending as long as someone has an opinion,

dont even reply to me, just let it end!!!! if you chose to reply, your just going to keep this going

Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

I just bought an unlimited vechicle check subscription from carfax anyone wants a vin checked I will be happy to help..
your vin came back with no problems , one owner vehicle 135599 last reported milage. warantee just ended

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 AM

Looking at an A4 VIN: WAULT68E03A293269

barryb97@comcast.net

Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 AM
2nd Gear

Another cheap bastard. Very poor form using your first post to try and geta free car fax.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

I will re-think my possition on this subject ,perhaps I spoke without thinking....