Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding/Scraping noise when turning RIGHT.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Grinding/Scraping noise when turning RIGHT.

Hi guys,

New to the forum, introduction is in the proper section but will give out the stats real quick so you don't have to find it.

Bought a 2001 A6 4.2Q with 170,000 miles on it. No warranty obviously but not a really a big deal to me.

One thing I'm trying to do is check the power steering fluid level but can't find where it is. I've went thru the owner's manual twice carefully but no luck. If anyone could help me locate it, would be much appreciated.

Second problem is when I make 90 degrees turn to the RIGHT ONLY, I get a metal scraping sound from the left wheel area. It doesn't happen on a slight curve nor is it affected by the speed. I think after about 45 degrees, that's when it starts.

It doesn't matter what speed I'm going at either, if I jerk the steering wheel quickly it happens as well. I know for a fact that I do need new brakes but I don't think that is the cause. It could be but I'm very doubtful.

When the car is standing still and I turn the steering wheel to the right, there is no noise.

I've done some research and people seem to think it's a wheel bearing or something is just loose. I have tighten the lug nuts but it's still happening.

Other than that, there are no other noises, no scraping noise when I stop slowly or abruptly. No other weird sound whatsoever.

I can do brake works and I can do wheel bearing work on my own. I don't have a fancy auto degree but I can do basic works.

Please let me know if you need more details and I thank you for your help in advance.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forums.

My suggestion is to only turn left from now on.

But my guess would be the wheel bearing also. Could a wheel be rubbing against something?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
Welcome to the forums.

My suggestion is to only turn left from now on.

But my guess would be the wheel bearing also. Could a wheel be rubbing against something?
LOL, I unfortunately am not a fan of Nascar

Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

You're not the only one....Formula1 rocks

On my older 1995 2.8L the PS reservoir is on the driver side, lodged in between the coolant expansion tank and wiper fluid reservoir. I have never seen aclose the engine bay of a Quattro (2.8, 3.0, or 4.2 or whatever engine size they come with), but you should be able to find it easily. It should have marks for "min" and "max" levels.
Follow the feed hose to the PS pump (it should be right on the front of the engine under the coil pack) and should "take" you to the right reservoir.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Ugh, looks like I'm going to have bigger headache than I thought.

While looking for the tank I was looking for, I realized that my expansion coolant tank which I filled 2 days ago to the max level is now at minimum. I moved the car to see if there was a leak but I don't see any red spots (which is the right color). I think the smell is supposed to be sweet correct?

Thanks for your help once again.

Edit: Nevermind on this "issue". It's normal since the car has not been driven in a while so I'm just going to fill it up again. I guess is the problem persist, that's a problem.

Last edited by vision85; 05-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

as far as the grinding noise, maybe check the brake dust shield to see if it could be rubbing against the rotor at all. Mine was bent and made a grinding noise only at certain steering angles. hope that helps

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

I second the brake dust shield. I pulled on mine doing my CV joints and when i put it back together It started making a metallic noise About 30 miles down the road. You just have to look under there if so push it or pry it away from the rotor.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Yesterday, an old mechanic friend actually stopped by without a notice and he thinks it's the brake dust shield rubbing against the rotor as well.

I won't have chance to take it apart until tomorrow so hopefully that is the issue. I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Just got done fixing the problem.

It indeed was the brake shield being a bit bent.

Thank you all for your insights and ideas!!!