Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPC LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default EPC LIGHT

So it jsut turned on, what does it mean. I know its the Power center something or other, but waht is it and what does it control. tia

Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Default RE: EPC LIGHT

electronic power control, a stability thing to take the guess work out of driving ( it does it for you ) quite boring really

Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 PM

A new capability characteristics with Volkswagen, Audi & Co
the electrical butterfly valve adjustment is with the Otto engine.
It is called also “electrical gas manipulation†(kurz=E-Gas)
or as EPC (electronics power control).

It looks at first sight simple:

Instead of a direct bowden cable connection between accelerotor pedal and butterfly valve there is now a small electric motor at the butterfly valve, which dependent on a potentiometer at the accelerotor pedal electrically one steers.

That should be everything??

As much eddies around EPC and even an own disturbance lamp!!

But hides itself behind it more…
With the following contribution I would like to bring all less technically experienced autofan a small piece hidden technology more near.

Note: This contribution is based on the function of the Otto engine - applies however from the basic understanding also in principle to Diesel engines, which are manufactured since short also with E-gas. With diesel engines no butterfly valve is present - which moment among other things by start of injection and - duration determined. The yellow ECP Fehlerlampe is missing. Instead in the event of an error with many Volkswagen models the well-known lamp for time the glow plugs are on is headed for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far: Mechanical adjustment

Engine torque and engine speed are determined with the Otto engine by the butterfly valve.
The butterfly valve was operated directly and mechanically so far via a soil course by the accelerotor pedal.

But always then, if e.g. the engine torque stout-heartet because of ESP engine managements must reduce, there is no possibility to affect the position of the butterfly valve - which is “gas foot†always dominant. As a substitute therefore the engine expensive equipment must on other correcting variables, like ignition and injection falls back around the engine to force to achieve despite depressed accelerotor pedal the desired cancelling of the engine moment.

Such a delimitation is however neither sensitivly enough nor can one thereby a genuine instantaneous control for ESP or a soft switching with mechanism obtain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again: Electrical adjustment

During the electrical butterfly valve adjustment the accelerotor pedal does not have direct reached through more on the butterfly valve.

Now the engine expensive equipment has finally the exclusive and direct access to the butterfly valve in that it the electrical actuator with the result of the internal computation AND the achievement desire optimally heads for. The accelerotor pedal has only the task to communicate the achievement desire of the driver.

The advantage is obvious:
The position of the butterfly valve and thus the engine torque can be determined now sensitive and more exactly according to the requirements of driving with consideration of waste gas emissions, consumption and security.

In practice means:
During unchanged position of the gas pedal the engine takes when responding the drivingdynamic safety components such as ESP, ASR etc. automatically the “gas back†automatically and gives also automatically somewhat to more “gas†if we the air conditioning system or strong consumers e.g. connects.

However there was already ab1995, thus before introduction genuine E-gas quasi a forerunner - by electric motors working the idling regulation. Despite bowden cable for normal driving, there was in series already a minimum electrical adjustment of the butterfly valve in the no-load operation to the reconciliation of load change because of e.g. power steering, heater control, heating and air conditioner…. and the 200W bass box .

And when equipment with GRA starting from 1998 this electrical adjusting possibility had been extended to the entire speed range. However only with switched on GRA. To one be allotted the bowden cable for normal driving might not one at that time yet have decided.
In addition you find further details in the last chapter.

http://www.epc.beetle24.de/

Old 05-19-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear

so is this something that I should worry about? will it cause any problems?

Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

The light is telling you there is a problem with your gas pedal or the valve that controls your engine speed. You tell me if you should worry about it. Pull the codes from the engine control module and let us know what they are.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

indeed it is an issue, Ill get back with the codes that are pulled....

Old 05-21-2006, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

hmmm strange, it turned off.... any ideas?

Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Default RE: EPC LIGHT- please write if yours comes on!

(To anybody who replies...Please keep the techno-lingo to a minimum. I just drive the car)

EPC light on my '06 A6 3.2, 7K miles, just turned on the other day. What year is your car?

On one occasion when my husband was driving on the interstate, the car accelerated to 90mph on its own -- as if the pedal were stuck! (Our daughter has an '06 A4, and had a similar experience while approaching an intersection!)

We asked the Audi service techs if there was a known history of this happening, and we got a roundabout shirk answer about how "it takes new owners a while to get used to the feel of the acceleration!" (We've gotten this stock answer about the slight hesitation or "slack" at first acceleration before -- "that's normal, try Sport mode.") Yeah -- a blast of acceleration when your foot is off the pedal takes a LITTLE getting used to.

For the last couple of weeks, the car had been sputtering and stalling when starting first thing in the morning -- Just weeks after the 5K service. Service man said there was probably moisture on my garage floor. (?) No, there isn't.

The car is in the Audi dealer shop - They called to say that "there is indeed an issue", and would call us in a few days.

By the way, we already had the "dust plate" on the bottom of the car fall off for no apparent reason. While driving to the dealer with this thing dragging along the road, a good Samaritan in a shiny BMW kindly said, "Excuse Ma'am there's something falling off of your POC". haha very funny. Dealer claimed we had run over a possum and there were guts jammed up under the plate. I asked to see it since I knew I hadn't run over any animals, but it was all cleaned up already. Because it was "our fault" this was NOT covered under warranty.

These are our first Audi's -- between these issues and the ATTITUDE at the service department that WE are always doing something wrong, makes me long for my old Lexus.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

to the owner of the A6, theres is currently a number of 05 a6 cars that have had the epc light come on and have your concerns. all of them were taking care of with a reflash of the ecm. there is a technical service bulletin for this. whether or not your 06 needs the same is debatable. a competent dealer should have checked the control module software level and determined whether or not it is needed.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

You are right about the software update, actully there are a number of those for this car

Man i wish we could just do all of the updates to the cars that need them, even if they dont have a complaint about it

Quick Reply: EPC LIGHT