Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the original post in this thread legit?
Yes, it's legit
47.62%
Nope, complete b.s.
38.10%
Not sure, I'm just a voyeur
14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Dude stop stinking up all the forums with your trash. Where the hell do I have to go to get away from this crap. Go on the ricer sites
Dumb *** Canuck.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 AM
4th Gear

Gawd! A poll?

Let it go.... let it go...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

This looks like a real storm in a teacup, and it's hard to see why it's triggered such anger. I found it a useful post, answering a question I had at the time, and took the time to register to say so.

Dension's are being sold here in the US, whether Dension likes it or not (you used to be able to buy their icelink at Best Buy, before Dension got cold feet, so they're not unknown in the market), and they're being bought and sold by people looking for a more reasonably priced but still effective alternative to Audi's much-delayed and now available but over-priced AMI retrofit.

Other posts on other forums have talked about A8 installation. This was the first and most useful post I've seen on installation in an A6, which is what I needed to do with the one I purchased (NOT from the same source as the original poster, FWIW).

I'm active in several other online auto communities, mostly BMW-related, but have not had much to say about my wife's Audi because it's a newer, reliable car, still under warranty until recently, and I have very little interest in modifying it.

Skepticism expressed (which is fine), allegation plausibly denied (should be accepted). Original post helpful to those installing Gateway 500's, especially in A6's. That should be it. Time to move on.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear

Actually people moved on... or better said they were moving steadfast along in a forum designed for helping each other, getting repair/mechanical tips, etc even before this topic...
"Anger" is actually the word meant to be the storm in the teacup you talk about. Anger about what? Do we just like to play with words after the whole issue was closed, or what's the point of your post?

The whole problem boiled down to the fact that THIS FORUM is not the appropriate one for promoting ad nauseam a product, whatever it may be. This is what the shillers didn't understand, and it seems that some people still don't get it, even if they find necessary to escalate further a deadbeat issue.
The DIY post wasn't the problem. Indeed was a very useful info sharing, just like any other DIY write-up.
Yeah, people moved on. Only a few moved on; a lot of others still keep bringing about this product, over and over again. It must be the attraction of the foreign word...

Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Default Audiforums is a joke!

Wow, this thread just reinforced why I went to forums at audiworld for all my technical questions regarding my new-to-me Audi.

Kevin and Chefro are the "experience" and moderators and all they seem fit to do is mock, belittle or deride.

I came here for a different outlook on whether to get the Dension or the Audi AMI retrofit to add iPod integration to my A6. I found no salesmanship in Gundo's posts here or on other boards. Simply a person in the same boat as me looking for answers. When he found none, he went forth with little guidance, accomplished that which he was looking to, and then wrote about it on your boards and others in order to help people looking to do the same...

And you jokers oust him for it! And all those who would like even more functionality out of their already great cars by adding a... wait for it.... iPod. I know, some of you who have called this thread an advertisement are still wondering what these doo-dads do, but others are well -versed and "in the know." I place "in the know" in quotes because iPods have been the fastest growing consumer electronics product for years, just behind cell phones. I know, you're still tied to your 60ft coily cord on your kitchen ma-bell.

So little can be gained from these forums thanks to all the great moderators and extreme lack of interest in threads other than to flame, and I'm sorry I returned for this brief period.

Oh, and to appease the moderators and explain my (and possibly others') noob-ness: I just bought the car (my first Audi) last week. Don't you think there could be valid reasons for noobs? And valid reasons their first post is in this thread? Everyone has to start some time, dorks. My reason is, my '06 just got off its lease and I snatched it up. My first alteration was an update to the MMI, (which I also found very little useful info on this forum) and my second will be iPod integration.

Last edited by scooter80; 08-29-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: To appease the moderators and explain my noob-ness
Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 AM
3rd Gear

Resurrecting THIS PARTICULAR THREAD shows that you're one of these doo-dads who tried ad nauseam to promote this big freaking whoop "fast growing electronic product"... It must be sad to have to come under a different ID and spew the same venom under a "noobness" umbrella... Read the damn post thoroughly, the claims, and what exactly has being said by whom, how, in what exact order, and only then you'd be entitled to act like a douche bag if you still feel like it. I'm tired of the likes of you as well. Probably Kevin is tired as well...
Furthermore, I divorced MaBell loooong time ago, maybe back when you're still wearing your diapers on.... I have used exclusively VOIP technology for over 6 years, long before people started burning their fingers with all the texting non-sense, and long before your ipod became such a...how you put it, "fastest growing consumer electronics product".

Lastly, if this forum is a joke, then it is because of bunraku puppets such yourself who discovered the old "MaBell" secret of proxy addresses... or maybe that there's no penalty for using the same IP with multiple IDs.
Pfewwww

Last edited by chefro; 08-30-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by scooter80
So little can be gained from these forums thanks to all the great moderators and extreme lack of interest in threads other than to flame, and I'm sorry I returned for this brief period.

Oh, and to appease the moderators and explain my (and possibly others') noob-ness: I just bought the car (my first Audi) last week.
In one sentence you say that you are sorry that you returned to the forum, and in the next sentence you say you are a noob who just bought his first Audi. Which one is it? Perhaps you have returned as an individual, but you are a noob under the name scooter. Regardless, I continue to be amused by the number of new members who partipate in this thread and resurrect it from the dead.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

wow - no need to resurrect this thread

the thread started out a bit rough, though at the end, and with careful reading of the posts, you can see that kevin and chefro are simply trying to protect the board from the legions of scammers running around.

cheers
gundo

Last edited by Gundo; 08-30-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: t
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for showing different parts.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Default So what alternatives are there?

All BS aside I just want some information about how to connect an auxilliary input to my 06 a6. I think I am a pretty savvy gut but keep running into the Dension as the only real option.

Lots of RCA type adapters out there but I cant find any that claim to be compatible with my Audi. I am ready to give the Dension a shot but if there is something cheaper, please senior members post some links. I have googled everything I can think of and spent 45 minutes on the phone with the local dealer today. The parts for the Audi media interface with adapters will be around 1k. The GW 500 looks like a bargain compared to that, but is there anything else I can do? I just want to connect my Palm Pre and stream Pandora through a 3.5 Audio Jack.

Any thoughts?

ps - have an RF transmitter and it works like crap. I am not an audiophile but would love something a bit better quality.

Last edited by gjothesen; 09-08-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install