Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash lights not a replaceable item - have to replace whole cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
Some of the bulbs, such as the transmission range indicator and the outside temperature indicator are soldered to printed circuit boards. You can get 12 volt replacement bulbs from Radio Shack.

So basically I just need to take the cluster out and then go from there?

Originally Posted by Deagle
sorry to come off as an ***. but when people demand help, as though it is a requirement, it makes me a little edgy.

I'll be helpful when I can be.

No prob Deagle...on a forum like this you're gonna end up with a lot of people (myself included) who are noob's and ask questions that have probably been asked over and over. I've been on a lot of automotive forums but this is the first Audi I've ever owned so I've got tons of questions...and not always a ton of time to search out the answer...

Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by whitey

So basically I just need to take the cluster out and then go from there?

No prob Deagle...on a forum like this you're gonna end up with a lot of people (myself included) who are noob's and ask questions that have probably been asked over and over. I've been on a lot of automotive forums but this is the first Audi I've ever owned so I've got tons of questions...and not always a ton of time to search out the answer...
part of loving these cars man ..... you either gotta have deep pockets or time/desire to figure it out on your own. We are all here to help eachother, for one reason. Our cars. You gotta make time, as my girlfriend calls it "my other girl", damn straight.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM

You need to dissconnect the battery before you remove the instrument cluster. Also, you will need the radio code to get the radio out of "safe" after you reconnect the battery.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

good point, if you don't have the code for the radio (should be in a separate radio manual with the owners manual) you're screwed.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM

For more serious problems with the cluster and even the ABS unit check out BBA: http://bba-reman.com

I sent my ABS unit in - got it back in two days - works great. I'm about to send them my cluster.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
You need to dissconnect the battery before you remove the instrument cluster. Also, you will need the radio code to get the radio out of "safe" after you reconnect the battery.
You do not need to disconnect the battery. Taking out the instrument cluster will do no harm to anything except how many miles you have on your trip odometer (and mpg average, etc.). I've done it numerous times without any problems. I understand if you did it out of safety, but don't worry, it's not worth the hassle.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

You don't have to remove the stearing wheel or disconnect the cluster to change the bulbs. Just place a cloth on the stearing column so you don't scratch things and work the cluster part way out so you can get to the bulbs. Having a copy of Bentley or a printout of the bulb locations helps.

And yes the transmission indicator and the temp sensor bulbs can be replaced with a bit of soldering as posted by a6.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

can someone clarify. Will this procedure work on my 98 A6 2.8L Quattro?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

^^ Pretty sure it will.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oc_audica
^^ Pretty sure it will.
So it will work on C5 sedans? just wanted to make sure before I buy the bulbs.

Quick Reply: dash lights not a replaceable item - have to replace whole cluster??