Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Boot kit - Which brand to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Maybe you should just get a whole new car.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

I'm not going to get into the pissing contest. azsuprasm has the correct info. if you're unsure about the condition of the joints, replace them, since you are in there anyway.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

Thank you to everyone who helped out, I REALLY appreciate the feedback. Hopefully someone else will google this thread and find it helpful.

Ordered the part!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

I just did mine too. My boots were torn for about 2-3 weeks I'd guess.

Those are some heavy duty CV's and I'd never replace them unless there was a problem with them.

I pulled mine apart, cleaned them out and they looked fine. Look where his boots are broken. Most of that grease is still in there. Unless he's driving in the desert nothing of consequence got in there.

Its overkill to replace them. You can feel if there is an issue when you take it apart.

I used the 2 arm gear puller and had no problems after removing the upper control arms and tie rod end.

Took me longer to clean out the CV than to take it apart/put it together.

Get LOTS of brake clean, make sure its all cleaned out and repack well. Be careful the ball bearings will come out if you move it around too much.

If there is no bluing or other obvious marks then they are fine.

The idea that its easier to replace rather than fix is nuts. Its an extra 5 minutes to pull the CV's off the axle shaft.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Here's a thought, why not disassemble the cvjoint, clean and inspect.
That way you know exactly what needs to be done for a proper repair, and it ends all this guessing.
Also, why are you looking for the cheapest boot you can find? This is a quality car, use quality parts!
Whammy, looks like your confidence exceeds you knowledge. BENG

Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

You need to remove it and inspect it anyways.

If its been torn that much it needs to come off and get ALL the grease out.

It took me 2 cans of brake clean to get it spot less. Make sure it all evaporates before re-greasing it.

Me...I set mine on fire

No kidding, I had a puddle here and there of brake clean I could not get out, lit it with the torch, burned it all off in a few sec.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I think one of my boots is torn as well. Makes the clicking noise when I turn RIGHT. Do I need to replace the CV or can I just get away with replacing the boot?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

beng, did you see the shape of his joints... he hadn't checked in months. I baby my car and check everything out whenever I get a chance. Knowledge?!? We are talking about a CV-boot not anything special. Replace it quick or be the idiot who gets a new axle. BANG

EDIT: Oh and can you please not repost the same comment as the person infront of you. Shows you have a lack of knowledge and a quialty cv-boot? Are you stupid or do you just get the 50-60 dollar one at audi?

Last edited by wammy18; 08-13-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wammy18
beng, did you see the shape of his joints... he hadn't checked in months. I baby my car and check everything out whenever I get a chance. Knowledge?!? We are talking about a CV-boot not anything special. Replace it quick or be the idiot who gets a new axle. BANG

EDIT: Oh and can you please not repost the same comment as the person infront of you. Shows you have a lack of knowledge and a quialty cv-boot? Are you stupid or do you just get the 50-60 dollar one at audi?
Are you referring to the pictures i posted of the torn CV boots? I have an appointment scheduled for Monday, and I only need to drive the car (about 40 miles or so in the mean time) one more time between then.

I just bought the car a week ago, and at that point the boots were "cracked" as reported by the mechanic. I sent him the same pictures, and he thought early next week would be ok.

Quick Reply: CV Boot kit - Which brand to get?