Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!

GIGI, what chip are you runnng and were did you have it done. Whats the difference between the chips on ECStuning.com (programs...1,2,3and4). What does that mean? Also, does chipping have any negative effects on the car. And how could it be erased? Sorry, for the test here. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear

I have the APR software, flashed by GMP Performance in Charlotte, NC in maybe 20 minutes. I have the sotck and 93 octane programs plus the Throttle Body alignment and Fault code eraser.
ECS tuning sells the APR software, all the different programs just like GMP does. Same thing.
There is actually a sale on APR chips for the holidays, I was just told yesterdayby Stephen the owner of GMP as I was talking to him about going stage 3 with the APR kit. So if you want the APR chip, do it now.
Porgam 1, 2 3.... just mean how many of their programs/options you want: Stock, 91 oct, 93, 100, Valet mode, APR security lock out, Anti=theft.
So you can pick just one, most people do 91 or 93 oct, or TWO programs, like 93 and stock in case you want to switch back and forth, or 3 or all... YOU can select/switch programs with the cruise control button.

INcreasing boost will free tremendous power form your car so will more strain on engine... It is recommended to upgrade DV's and TTB. APR chip keep the car very reliable and driveable.
Incredible mod for the $.
It could be erased by overriding the program. Say by a dealer... rare though I think.
To me chipping with APR is a no brainer.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

Nice! Do you notice a significant increase in power with the chip? Does it increase low end and top power? I am still a little leary about the chip, I love my car and don't want to subject it to any pre-mature failure. Thoughts??

Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Coors, I'm located in Philly as-well. Let me know what and if you get a chip or flashed from who in Philly. I have no clue what one or the other does; but my 2002 A6 3.0l needs to be faster.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Coors

Nice! Do you notice a significant increase in power with the chip? Does it increase low end and top power? I am still a little leary about the chip, I love my car and don't want to subject it to any pre-mature failure. Thoughts??
VERY SIGNIFICANt!!!! Imagine driving two identical cars back to back, one with 250 hp and 250 lb tq, the other (same weight, same everything) with 320hp and 380 lb tq!!!! HUGE difference especially for the price and you'll fell it even in the low RPMs. If you take care of the car, maintain it well, oil change with good oil every 5000 miles max, upgrade DVs and TBB, you'll be fine. Also always let it warm up before running it hard and let it cool off a little beofre turning it off after spirited driving...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM

I just bought an 04 2.7T, Which company can demo the ECU flash and do they charge for the demo flash. I chipped a Porsche for 1k and it was not very noticeable. I sure would like to test drive it first. How much to upgrade the DV's and TBB. Is there any real gain on air filter and or intake. What about lowering springs. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear

There is noticeable change from the ECU, trust the hundreds or thousands who've done it on this forum or Audizine. I don't know in you area, but GMP does 1hr demos for free. Where are you? Find a local APR dealer and call them up for a demo. Or find someone on a forum that is local to you and have them give you a ride.
Not sure about aftermakret TBB's, check on line. I did the APR bipipe and love it: $300. Upgraded TBBs are cheaper. Aftermarket DV's like Hyperboost or APR's R1 are about 160 each and it is a DIY install. You can just get Audi 710 DV;s from the TT and they'll run you a lot less, I think they sued to be in the $40's.
Yes lowering is a good idea. Although you can go cheap and just do springs, it will be bouncy and wear out your shocks prematurely. Do Shocks and springs or set of Coil Overs like PSS9, H&R's or KW3's.
Don't waste your $ on air intake on our cars... Not productive. get sway bars instead.

ok here's prices on the SAMCO TBB and APR Bipipe" $70 and $350 but I think there is a sale on APR product
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....s&CID=5622

Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

try this too
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...;productID=618

APR Bi-Pipe Kit **Includes 2 New Forge 007P's (Black)** -Limited Time Only[/align]Bolt in replacement for troublesome throttle body boot[/align]

The APR Bi-Pipe Kit eliminates any and all reliability issues of the 2.7T throttle body boot. This cast aluminum pieces features recirculation valve ports that are enlarged which helps in reducing boost spikes during gearshifts and improves turbo response after the shift. The BiPipe bolts to the throttle body and is sealed by an O-ring. This is the first in a long line of products that APR has developed in-house using its SLA technology.

[align=right]SALE!
$549.95
$614.95
[/align]

Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...earchqt=onsale
this page has all you need, All DV;s, FORGE, APR and N710's.... plus Bipipe. You can get the APR Bipipe plus 2 N710 DVs for 389 plus shipping OR the APR Bipipe and two FORGE DVs for $549 and free shipping

Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Wow! OK! Thanks GIGI. Whats the deal with the demo chip. Will a local shop flash your ECU for an hour or so, to let you test drive the chip, so to speak?

Quick Reply: TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!