Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chip for a 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: chip for a 4.2L

For any 4.2 owner thinking about "chipping" their engine...

Before you do, here's a checklist to go through:

- Have you upgraded your sway bars?
- If you do not have the OEM sport suspension, have you upgraded your springs/shocks?
- If the car is '02 or later, have you upgraded your brake system?
- If the car is '01 or earlier, have you upgraded your rotors?
- Have you taken a performance driving course?

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, do not chip your car. Your money is better spent elsewhere. Good quote on the matter from another forum: A 175mph 2.7 [or 4.2] or RS6 is just not sensible [on US roads], but a car that handles like it is on rails and stops like it hit a wall is useable.

It is possible to have to much testosterone. Just ask Floyd Landis.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear

Why would you chip a 4.2? Isn't that why you bought the car... because the engine was such a masterpiece of a machine?? Ok. I'm taking this a little too far. Seriously though, why would you want to enhance the engine on a 4.2? Mine is completely stock and I think it is perfect. The sound and performance is great. I would be focusing on the exterior of the car.

Might I suggest the newest supercharger available for our 4.2's???

Old 07-30-2006, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Nice, now I have a "to do" list, thanks. I have heard about the other stuff but what do I do to upgrade the rotors? Plus, I don't really know how to do any of this stuff so where can I bring it in or around Boston? Preferably around.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

Also, is there any way to make the 4.2 quicker off the line? Don't get me wrong I love the thing but you can never go too fast out of the gate.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear

Ice Train,

Welcome to the forum. You've been asking lots of questions and officially get this month's "Most Eager nOObie" award. These cars are certainly a lot of fun and tweaking them is a great hobby. At this stage of the game, I'd suggest a few things...

- Read the forum. There's a TON of information already in here than can give you great ideas on how to improve your car. The more you learn, the more you'll be able to figure out which "next mod" is the one you want.
- Search the forum before posting. If you search on some of the key words you'd use in your post, you will often find that your question has already been asked and answered. If not perfectly, you'll at least get some great background that will help you refine your question if you do need to make a new post.
- Check out Stoney's Link (see my signature for the link). It's an EXCELLENT resource for A6 owners. You'll be hard pressed to find a topic of interest to you that is NOT covered by this list of links.

Regarding the rotors (I assume you have a pre 02 car)... Probably nothing to worry about for the moment. If you get a heavy pulsating during hard braking, it may be time to upgrade (could be an indication of warped rotors -- something that can happen with the pre '02 HP2 front brakes). When you do need them replaced (either for the above noted reason or through normal wear and tear), you'll want to go with non-OEM rotors. Check Stoney's links for detailed discussion of this issue.

Want to be quicker off the line? Sell your car and get a 2.7T with a 6-speed manual. Best way to do it. :-P

Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Supercharger...??Where, and how much? Seems like the only way to really enhance the motor...Curoisity killed the wallet...hehe