Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Default RE: car won't start

Thanks Auditech79. Would you have graph or picture so that I am sure about what I am doing?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

If you ghave better chance to start the engine after 10s key ON-your system has no residual fuel pressure. I've had this on my 4kq.
There should be check valve on the fuel pump responsible for holding the pressure in the system.
Not just the flow of fuel but the pressure should be tested.
Where is your fuel pump located?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

Follow Auditech79's direction ----

If It's getting fuel then the problem is electrical or timing.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM

Is 20 seconds normal for the fuel pump to charge the system initially?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Auditech79, I've found the line with 17mm and 14mm nuts next to each other. What is the function of the other line?

If the fuel pressure regulator is failing, then what should happen?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Site Moderator

The other line bleeds excess pressure back to the tank, its called a return system.
If the fuel pressure regulator was failing the engine would either run lean/rich, wouldn't cause the car to not start.
Don't worry about how long the fuel pump charges, just worry about if gas is getting to the engine.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks AudiTech79 for the prompt reply!

Is there something special I should do when I put the line back together? I mean, am I supposed to put some kind of sealer on the thread to prevent leaking? Or is there a spec for torque on that? Just wanted to make sure I do it right since it is the fuel line on top of the engine.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Working on pulling the feed line off, it is tighter than I thought.

Forgot to mention that after I changed my fuel filter and tried to start the first time (of course it did not start), there was fuel coming out of both inlet and outlet of the filter because I did not tighten it hard enough. Is it an indication of I am actually getting fuel, thinking there is nothing else in the line before the engine other than the pipe?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Ok, verified. So, there is fuel from the pump; there is spark on the plug; the plug is dry; the engine does not start.

According to AudiTech79, it is the engine speed sensor for this scenario. Where is it? Is there any write-up that I can follow?

I have a free version of VAG-COM, I believe there is one spot you can monitor the engine RPM. Of course right now if I monitor it, it is 0 RPM; but what if I monitor it while I try to start the engine? If it reads good RPM, then the engine speed sensor is good; if it reads 0 RPM, then this sensor is bad. Is my assumption correct?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Today I used my free VAG-COM to monitor the engine RPM just to verify the engine speed sensor. As I turned the key, the RPM get to 160 within a second. So the sensor is good. This made me question the way I checked the fuel line. I did not follow the instruction from AudiTech79 exactly (stupid me), as soon as I loosened the bolts for the feed line, there was fuel coming out under pressure. I assumed this was from the last fuel pump run a minute ago. But I was wrong. Today I actually disconnected the line, took a bottle and had my wife turn the key on. I realize two things:

1) there is no fuel coming out of the feed line; so the fuel pump did not run;
2) the 20 seconds of high pitch sound is not from the fuel pump, but from the engine compartment; I don't know what it is.

So now I have verified the fuse for the fuel pump, it is good; looking for the fuel pump relay but could not find it. searched the net, can someone tell me is it just behind the fuse panel? if it is, how do I take the front molding off to have access to it?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: car won't start