Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling all A6 gurus ,check this out!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear
Default calling all A6 gurus ,check this out!!!!!

I own 1999 A6 2.8l 5 valve .The motor is making ticking /tapping noise at idle .As i would rev up to 1200 rpms noise got louder then it would go away as rpms climbed.I noticed the Diesel sounding rattle coming from right passenger valve cover, no noise from drivers side.I have replaced all 9 intake tappet lifters and also replaced cam chain tensioner. I started the motor and the ticking is still present at idle WTF! I have run out of leads. Can any one shed some of their knowledge .I am tired of throwing money at this car.Common gurus, I need some advice

Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM

you may find this to be consoling rather than helpfull. i seem to here thesame sound from my car as well but mine changes in nature becoming rougher as the engine gets to normal opperating temps. at time it would seem to go away. this has been for a while. i want to associate it to my faulty CEL for CAT.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

gurus ?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

cam tensioner... There is a DIY on DIY section

Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default cam tensioner

Originally Posted by hxgaser
cam tensioner... There is a DIY on DIY section
like i said in my first post,I replaced it with a new cam tensioner .Part was not cheap! and folowed the DIY tutorial precicely.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

Ooops did not read that. In that case, I think you might have a blocked oil passage going to the head perhaps? The fact that you had to replace all lifters and tensioner might have been caused by sludge. Try seafoam.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default sea foam

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Ooops did not read that. In that case, I think you might have a blocked oil passage going to the head perhaps? The fact that you had to replace all lifters and tensioner might have been caused by sludge. Try seafoam.
I did try seafoam and it didnt work .I ran the car for 1 hour evn drove it around to no avail..Flushed oil and replced filter and tried marvel mystery oil,that didnt work either.....I changed oil again after I replaced Cam tensioner and lifters.I inspected Cam lobes and caps and they seemed fine .I mean they did not look damaged at all..I appreciate your help .
Are the oil passages in these motors commonly clogged by sludge ? That thought didnt occur to me .It makes sense, if the passage is clogged to the tensioner..I was getting ready to install new oil pump ....
I dred thinking about tearing it down again to inspect it ...damn VVtiming ..I will remove intake cam and tensioner and flush the hell out of it with carb cleaner or some strong solvent ,Ive even considered diesel....
thanks hxgaser...

Last edited by redmatador; 08-09-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear

2.8s are better than 2.7, but there are many cases of sludge on these things. That is one of the reason that I run synthetic, although it is not required. I ran my car about 200 miles with seafoam before changing the oil. Try giving it some time and see what happens.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

I think i will try one last time , adding some kind of motor flush.Ill take your advice...
Do you think i shoud remoove oil pan and inspect oil pump pick up tube ....Does the screen get clogged by sludge like the 1.8l motors?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Could be a sticky carboned up valve that is not closing all the way. Hydraulic lifter can only compensate so much. Compression test done?? Just my a wild a** guess. My 2.8L '98 30V did the same thing occasionally.

Quick Reply: calling all A6 gurus ,check this out!!!!!