Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 versus BMW 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by formulagigi
I think you are asking too vague a question or not giving enough info..
It depends on a lot of things: what kind of driver are you? what are yuo looking for in the next car? will yuo want to mod? where do you live (rain? snow? mostly dry???) do you really want or need AWD... Which 5 series and A6 models are yuo looking at and comparing? that's a big difference....
From a looks standpoint, it is really a metter of taste so I will spare yuo my opnions.
In a nutshell wihtout knowing the above...
The 5 series typically are lighter, have better suspension and handling and their engines are better/cars quickers at equal models I.e. 528 to A6 2.8 or 3.0... V8 to V8....
So the 5 series will be a notch quicker and handle better, be sportier overall..
The A6 will be mroe comfortable, and ahve the best interior....
But mods chnage everything... alson form looking at our local Euro club, guys with 5 series seems to have less problems with their cars than the A6 owners on the forums.
I am not even inckluding M5s and Rs6 here.... and these are high level comments...

Hi. Thanks for commenting. I'm normally not an aggresive driver and I prefer to drive casually and comfortably. But I like to have the burst of speed when the situation calls for. So my next car should have a comfortable ride as well as speed when it calls for. Also, I prefer my car to be not noisy. I live in the tropics ( far east ) so it's hot and humid all year long. I'm comparing BMW 520 or 530i ( not sure the engine ) with the Audi A6 Quattro ( with a 2.8 V6 engine ).

How about reliability issues? Anyone got any experience?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM

honestly i would take a 540i over every a6 with the exception of the 2.7T, but under some circumstances..

where do you live? how is the weather year-round?

in my opinion i just think the 5-series is superior to the A6. Again like someone stated above, if you're looking for an 8 cylinder then actually the 4.2 A6 would give the 540i a run for its money just because its all wheel drive, and that would be nasty to have.

Otherwise if you get a 2.7T you can just chip it and it will be a lot faster.

So I would say

1. 540i (6MT)
2. 4.2 A6 (auto) quattro
3. 2.7T (6MT) quattro
4. 528 or 530i

keep in mind that quattro is really sweet, but BMW > All

Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ben123
Hi. Thanks for commenting. I'm normally not an aggresive driver and I prefer to drive casually and comfortably. But I like to have the burst of speed when the situation calls for. So my next car should have a comfortable ride as well as speed when it calls for. Also, I prefer my car to be not noisy. I live in the tropics ( far east ) so it's hot and humid all year long. I'm comparing BMW 520 or 530i ( not sure the engine ) with the Audi A6 Quattro ( with a 2.8 V6 engine ).

How about reliability issues? Anyone got any experience?
It sounds like you'd be satisfied with an A6 2.7T. Confy and has decent power. 2.8L is only 200 HP.
However, if you decide on a 540i and want the confort, make sure it comes with the super confy/plush seats. I forget what they are called but if you look on the side of the seat the super nice confy seats have 5 switches instead of the sport seats which have 3 switches.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

maint. and reliability ... bmw

comfort and true sport luxury ... audi

they are both expensive and very similar ... good luck w/ your decision

Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

based on your reply above. I would pass on the a6 2.8 and get the 530.
Good luck

Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Hi All,

I just test drive the BMW 523i today ( the 530i model was not available ). General quite impress with the car, both the drive and interior. However, I found the accelerator pedal very difficult to press. I really have to press hard with my foot before the car starts to move. But once the car is moving, it's OK. The salesperson told me all BMWs are like that. Is that true?

I'll be test driving the Audi A6 tomorrow. After that, I'll make a decision.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 AM

I drove a 528 for 2 months before i bought my audi and yea, the accelerator pedal was like that too.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by formulagigi
based on your reply above. I would pass on the a6 2.8 and get the 530.
Good luck
Well, You guess correctly.

Just test-drive the A6 today and it's quite dissapointing. It the opposite of the BMW 523i, the accelerator pedal response is very fast and so is the brake. Good for acceleration and speeding/racing perhaps for feels very jerky to me. BMW just feels more stable and steady. Interior of the A6 is too small and cram compare to the BMW and not as well appointed. Also missing is the Engine Start/Stop button, iPod connection interface and Parking Assist, available as extra cost on the A6 but all comes standard on the BMW. The MMI interface is so confusing and difficult to use that even the Audi salesman cannot figure it out. Worse, the A6 cost USD15K more.

I'm sure Audi is a good car for many people but just not for me, and it's poorly supported in my country by Audi compared to BMW. Since I decided on a BMW, I better go look for BMW forums. You guys have fun with your Audi car and thanks for all the feedback.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

Enjoy the bimmer. YOu'll love it I am sure.
Let us know how the BMW experience goes.
Cheers

Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Iv'e owned both. Currently it is a 2001 A6 4.2 Sport Loaded to the gills. Was the EURO model and cost close to 70K brand new. Also had a 2002 540i 6 speed. The comment from somebody that that the 4.2 will give a 540i a run for its money..well, that should be the other way around. No doubt the suspension is better on the BMW, thats what made them famous, but highway acceleration 70-100 and off the line....My 540 was always behind. In the way of reliability, well, pros and cons like everyone has stated. European cars = higher maintenance costs etc. From an interior perspective, the 540 doesnt even come close to the luxury refinements, quality or build the 4.2 has. Gas mileage = shitty in both - they are v8's. It costs me $80 bucks to fill up every week. But, if you are considering either car, and are serious in that marketplace, gas mileage shouldnt be your first concern. If it is, go buy a Japanese model. Both BMW and AUDI build excelletn cars. I lean towards AUDI in the early 2000's and up due to quality, luxury, and looks. Now it is different. The new gen of AUDI A4's and A6's doesnt hold the "wow" factor for me like it used to. The BMW's and even some of the Japanese automakers are reallystepping up to the plate. Anyways, have fun choosing. Let us know what you buy.