Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone like the 4.2L v8????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: anyone like the 4.2L v8????

ORIGINAL: prbayha

The s60R is not faster than the 4.2 by any means. I test drove the 2006 s60r manual and was unimpressed with the feel and hard acceleration. Handling was mushy and the build, like others mentioned, was really cheap. I also drove the 2001 mercedes 430 coupe which was a huge dissapointment, the 540i manual which was dissapointing as well, and settled on the audi. Better acceleration/power, world class interior and just an all around better car. Build quality is fantastic. Volvo's ..aside form the s60 have always been underpowered soccer mom rigs. Aside from the viggen, the same goes for saab. They all have their pro's and con's butthe difference fromvolvo to audi is like comparing ground hamburger to filet mignon. The one car I did drive which was bad *** in build quality, power, and refinement was the 2005 Jaguar X-type R supercharged model. 400 horses at your foot and that car goes. The audi was cheaper in price. I've had the volvos and saabs in my family and IMHO they are to Europe what ford and chevy are to america. Basic cars. Nice, but basic.
The S60R will blow the doors off of the 4.2! It's a smaller car and is built for speed. Those things are fast as hell. I would buy one in a heart beat if they had dual exhaust. That's the only thing that has kept me from buying one.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear

I've driven both and your wrong. In fact, about 2 hours apart from one another.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

2nd that I have driven both as well. The S60 is a good performer Hp wise they are about the same 300. accel times are close as well.

Dmdrdennie

The 4.2l upgrades are hard to calculate for me because I have done so Manny

but I know they have a Cat back that should be good for 10
the EFK this gets rid of the heavy fan from the front of the motor that should be 5-10
I know they have the LWCP (light weight crank pulley) that should be good for 5-10 as well
the have the cold air intake....hp I don't know....3-7 more less I don't know
then they have the tuning. I know this made the most difference in my car say 25+

I would say total on the low side of the figures
10 for the exhaust
5 for the EFK
5 for the crank
5for the intake
20for the chip
= 45+hp

I am supposed to talk to the guys there later next week I will get some info for all that are interested and post

let me know if you guys are interested and I will do the digging I just checked there web site and they don't have it updated with any of the stuff so I will ask

Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 AM
2nd Gear

I am interested in getting the details on the 4.2 mods. I wouls also like to know if they are any mods available for the 05 4.2

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

Ditto to the MODS. I will be out of warranty in July and would like to entertain the thought of that manual gearbox upgrade. My TIP is on the way out and will be too expensive to replace. I am also interested on the true gains when ECU Chipping. The gains reported don't seem worth the money spent. What are the best combination of MODS to get the most out of the motor without breakiong the bank?

BTW - 0-60 times on the S60 is 6.1 seconds. 4.2 is 6.0. Torgue in the higher end will be much better with the V8. I saw an S60 on youtube last night that was modded big time to beat an M5. That was cool butstock they are pretty much identical.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

I've driven both and your wrong. In fact, about 2 hours apart from one another.
I'm not sure if your thinking about the S60R or not? I have a 4.2 A6 and I have also driven the S60R and the R is much quicker. I'm not talking about a stock S60. Not wrong...

Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

let me know if you guys are interested and I will do the digging I just checked there web site and they don't have it updated with any of the stuff so I will ask
Yea, I'm interested. Let me know if it's no problem. I assumed that there had to be more available than what the website listed. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Ditto to the MODS. I will be out of warranty in July and would like to entertain the thought of that manual gearbox upgrade. My TIP is on the way out and will be too expensive to replace. I am also interested on the true gains when ECU Chipping. The gains reported don't seem worth the money spent. What are the best combination of MODS to get the most out of the motor without breakiong the bank?

BTW - 0-60 times on the S60 is 6.1 seconds. 4.2 is 6.0. Torgue in the higher end will be much better with the V8. I saw an S60 on youtube last night that was modded big time to beat an M5. That was cool butstock they are pretty much identical.
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt1848.shtml4.2 A6 15.5 1/4 mile time
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2237a.shtmlS60 R 14.4 1/4 mile time (6 speed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrbGVHXqZQVideo of the 2007 Audi RS 4 from motorweek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsTSw0zuQEVideo of the 2008 VW R32 from motorweek

I saw that video too, I think both cars was stock.
Earlier I said the S60R could beat the 4.2 A6, here are the numbers from motorweek, they test drive new cars if you haven't seen the show before, it come on the speed channel and the MPT network.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you for the research. Sure looks like the S60R is a little quicker...

Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

The S60R is a sled! Back in 2005 I was in the market for a new car and drove the 05' S60R at Cherry Hill Volvo in Nj and asked the sales consultant if the emergency brake was on. This car suffers from soomuch turbo lag it is ridiculous. Forget the numbers, get in the cars and drive them. I was sold on the S60R from everything I read and researched until I drove it. Then there's the interior, argh! So much plastic! The one thing I will say about the Volvo is that the quality and typeof leather used on the interior was excellent.
-Just a thought-