Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know an honest audi mech in austin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone know an honest audi mech in austin?

i have another thread (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=132211) about overheating and a/c problems with my 96 a6 wagon.

what i wanted to know - does anyone know a good audi mechanic in austin, texas who will give me an honest diagnosis? i'm a girl so i feel like i'm going to get screwed more easily. my boyfriend is a little handy and he wants to work on it, but we've been trying to diagnose it all week without much luck.i already got bitched out by my boyfriend for trusting this vw mechanic to diagnose it, and all he did was the obd (free at autozone - which i didnt know) and charged me $85 for it.

would it be smart to take it to my friend's mechanic (not german) to test the wiring and electrical system completely? i worry a little about taking it to someone who doesn't know german cars.

thanks yall - this board rocks!
rachel

Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 AM

You need to check that both auxiliary radiator fans turn on when your engine is overheating. The auxiliay fan switch is located at the bottom of the radiator. The auxilliary fan resistor is located underneath the windshield washer tank underneath the car. There are two relays for the radiator fans in the electrical box in front of the windshield.
Since your fans never turn on, then you should check if connecting the auxilliary radiator fan switch terminals to ground makes the fans turn on to low or high speed. This needs to be done with the ignition key turned on. The switch has three pins, with one going to ground an the other two powering the low and high speed relays. So, if the fans do not run, do the relays click. There may be a hidden 50amp fuse blown, which is located behind the drivers footwell panel. This fuse is not listed in the owners manual. To get the footwell panel off, you need to first remove the sill cover with a putty knife and unscrew the sill. Next, remove the hidden screw holding the footwell cover.
Also, check the temperature coming in to and out of the radiator at the hoses. Using the wrong coolants may cause the radiator to plug.
The radiator may have lint like material hidden behind the A/C condenser, which covers the cooling fins.
Other causes of overheating are the coolant thermostat and blown head gaskets. However, you should first find out why the fans are not running.

Last edited by a6hcw; 05-23-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

There are a couple of places I've gone to and can recommend: Soulspeed (soulspeed.com) and German Auto Center (germanautocenter.com). There are other places in town that I'm sure are reputable, but I have no personal repair experience with. Soulspeed has lower hourly rates, but their expertise skews a bit more towards performance work than something that might require this much trouble shooting. German Auto Center did a pretty major job for me. Great work. Austin Veedub (austinveedub.com) also should be a good option. I spoke with their service manager over the phone to try and trouble shoot a problem I was having and he took the time to break from what he was working on to help me out. He seemed very knowledgeable. I would suggest maybe taking the diagnostic info you were already given, and the suggestions made above by a6hcw, and calling one of these shops to see if you can eliminate some possibilities over the phone. With so many possible causes, I would suspect that they may just try to have you bring the vehicle in, though. Another option might be to go to a cheaper, general mechanic who is competent. I go to Empire on 7th St frequently for basic stuff.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

Lloyds in Driftwood. Not an Audi mechanic but knows Audis & does amazing work for a very fair price.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Also, Jteesy is right about Austin VeeDub. They usually have a 2 week back log but they're good, I've always had a great experince with Lloyds. He'll keep the car for a few days but I'm always pleased with his no BS approach & price.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

update:
well, he tested the fans finally (hotwired from battery) and neither one turned on. maybe we should have done that from the start!

any ideas on where i should look for new ones? it seems like online is my only option.

also, what are the chances this A) is my only problem, and B) will fix the A/C as well?

thanks,
rachel

Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

I saved some money when I needed new fans by getting used ones from Force Five in Concord NH. They can also supply new ons at a substantial savings over the local dealer.

It is highly unlikely it will fix the AC problem.
Recharging a 96 Avant is not simple because it dosen't have a low pressure schrader valve - unless someone did a retrofit. It takes a special fitting that goes into the low pressure side of the compressor.
There is a way to access the AC system status using the buttons on the climate control pannel but I don't remember how to do it.

PS tell your BF to chillout - spending money is just part of the fun of owning an Audi LOL

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

good news! got the whole shroud with both fans in great condition for $125 used locally. fixed the same day. now on to the a/c - i think i'll start a new thread tho.

thanks for the advice

Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

my uncle is the service maneger at veedub he has worked there for 20 years