Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blower, wipers, headlights not working all of a sudden. Fuses ok, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Default AC Blower, wipers, headlights not working all of a sudden. Fuses ok, any ideas?

2000 A6 4.2L non turbo. I tried wiggling the ignition switch and I looked at all the fuses. I am perplexed as to why all of a sudden the headlights, wipers and ac-heater blower is not coming on. Car drives normal and starts just fine. Hazards blink and parking lights work. Radio works too!

Any ideas what else to check?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

Well, all those do go through the ignition switch... have you metered it?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Default re

I read somewhere it could be a bad switch. But that doesn't make any sense to me. I removed the cover underneath the steering column, checked around and everything looks normal. I found some relays under there and some big fuses but they look new. Nothing burnt. How do you check the ignition switch? is there a changeable electronic part under there? If the switch was bad, will I need a new key and assembly? I don't know where to find a repair manual with this information in it.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

From what I understand, there is two parts to the switch, the keyed lock and a contactor section. Pin 75 (yel/blk) supplies power to the headlights and would be a good place to check. I'm just going from wiring diagrams though..

Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
From what I understand, there is two parts to the switch, the keyed lock and a contactor section. Pin 75 (yel/blk) supplies power to the headlights and would be a good place to check. I'm just going from wiring diagrams though..
Thank you, I found the problem. The key and cylinder lock are seperate from the switch/contactor. I seperated the switch/contactor and unpluged a round looking wire harness from its rear. I carefully pry open the plastic switch/contactor and it looks brand new inside. I sprayed it with w-d 40 and blew some compressed air into it. I plugged it back together and tried the switch again with the key to see if the horn/lights/blower/signals work and NOTHING! Then I bang on the end switch with a big *** screw driver ( butt side) and it fukin turns on. What the **** man. I don't have patience for these stupid ****** problems. I can tear an engine and tranny apart and put it back together in no time, and I love doing it.....but when stupid **** like this happens I get frustrated. Now I am wasting time calling advance auto/pepboys/napa/autozone/central auto parts etc,etc,etc.....they are all expensive! $65 bucks for a little frekin thing...unbeleivable

Anyway, as always....thank you for your responses it really helped

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear

ecstuning has it for dirt cheap. I got hosed at the dealer about a year ago, but I had to get the car out of a parking lot before they closed.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Never spray wd-40 in or on electronics..it not only will eat plastic but totally collect dirt and dust like a magnet..use electronic cleaner spray which actually drys clean and does a better job of cleaning.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
4th Gear

It costs $70 plus shipping from ECS:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...itches/ES2172/

$65 seems like a deal

Glad you found it.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

wow.... i got mine from Ariz Autohaus for $8.78...