Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Default RE: A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?

ORIGINAL: Batteries

ORIGINAL: tsbpenguin
The STi has decentmod response. Not great. Nothing compared to an evo or a 2.7t. STi's are nowhere near king of the streets. That title would belong to s4's, cobras, and some evo's in my opionion.
This is turning into a two person discussion. Hahah. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Well, if we are talking REAL kings of the streets here. I'd say Evos, B5 S4s, Terminator Cobras (2003-2004), the ever hated/loved Supra, and the rarely found Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. I've been a passenger in a 3000GT with approx. 450-500 horsepower and it was ludicrously fast.

Haha sorry not to specify clearly. I was also refering to B5 S4 and Termi Cobras. Supras im on the edge about because their 700rwhp would be dead even with about a 550rwhp cobra... And i'm not too impressed with Vr-4's. I've had two friends with them and neither one was anything to awe at. Both made decent power too.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tsbpenguin
Supras im on the edge about because their 700rwhp would be dead even with about a 550rwhp cobra.
Your thread has officially been hijacked by us.....

Just to play the devil's advocate here, are you sure about that? Supras weigh in at about 3200 pounds. Cobras are about the same, so the weight isn't what does it. I'm guessing you mean for an average slow roll/dead stop pull? The only thing that really kills Supras off the line is the insane turbo lag from running a gigantic turbo, which wouldn't affect the Terminator because of the I-don't-know-what-lag-is supercharger. On the highway though, it's a VERY difficult task to beat a 600-700 horsepower Supra with anything. I don't mean to say that it wouldn't happen/hasn't happened, just that it is difficult with a properly tuned Supra.
I also acknowledge that as far as tunablity goes, you can be pushing 800 horsepower in a 2JZ from a Supra and have virtually stock durability, which is still incredibly impressive. It is safe to say that the Supra is a bit of dyno-queen, though.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Batteries

ORIGINAL: Tha Abbot
I have to agree, yes the A6 can/could be fast, but the reality is, it's still a luxury sport car, (it is what it is).If you wanttorace the race cars, go by a race car. Now, I'm talking stock here, The S4 in the video has stock 340hp, so what do you think the STI will do to a A6 with stock 250hp? You get a mod, he gets a mod and the outcome will be the same. Just be happy with what you got, if not get something else.
Ok. First of all, the topic clearly states that he has an APR chip (amongst other performance goodies), so he never claimed to want to race an STi with a stock A6. And not only that, but he also says the he's racing a stock STi, so the whole "you get a mod, he get's a mod" argument is a moot point. In this discussion we are talking about a chipped A6 and it's performance versus a stock STi.

That top gear video doesn't prove much. First of all, the S4 DOES catch up and passes the STi right at the end. (the Evolution is long gone) Second of all, the S4 lost MOST of its ground in the beginning half of the sprint, where the Evo and STi have a very significant weight advantage from a dead stop and are 0-60 monsters because of their ability to literally rip off the line. Low weight + high RPMs + AWD = insanely quick launch, which is where the S4 lost most of its ground.

However! (and this is a big however) if TopGear had done an acceleration test from 75-130, the outcome wouldn't have been exactly the same as it was. The S4 still might not edge out the Evolution, but the STi would have been deep fried. I mean the S4 DID catch up to and pass the STi eventually in the off the line run, which just shows that without all of the ground to make up from a launch, it would have embarassed the STi at higher speeds. This is the same situation with an A6. While it doesn't have all of the power of the V8 S4 (~310 hp vs. ~340), it's torque production is much more linear and instantly there because of the twin turbos.

So, I maintain my theory that at high speeds the A6 does have a smidgen of a chance, and even if it did lose, it would be quite a close loss.

Dag, you acting like I'm talking about your mother or something , clam down, its just a car, it's not even that serious, nor is it your car. Ipaid my 2 cents, you can keep the change and the smart *** responce.

How, whats the average 1/4 mile time of a chipped A6?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Dag, you acting like I'm talking about your mother or something , clam down, its just a car, it's not even that serious, nor is it your car. Ipaid my 2 cents, you can keep the change and the smart *** responce.
I didn't mean to sound aggressive, I just wanted all the facts to be on the table. I didn't intend it to be a smart-*** reponse, so I apologize for coming across that way. [X(]

Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 PM

How, whats the average 1/4 mile time of a chipped A6?
All we're trying to do is point you to the first post and the title clearing up the fact that its a CHIPPED A6 vs a stock STi not a stock one. As for the average 1/4 of a chipped a6, i have no idea but it's quite irrelevant as we've come to the conclusion that the STi has the launch and 0-60 advantage. So it's more of a roll issue than a 1/4 time issue.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Since we are on the Supra topic now, a friend of mine had a 1994 Supra (the best year, but he loses points because it an automatic) and he has a full exhaust, including a down pipe. I raced him with my stock 2.7 S-Line from a dead stop. I got the jump on him, but he did run me down, as he was suppose to, but from a roll, he has nuffin on me. I’m kinda feeling what yall are saying about the 2.7 vs. the STI, but he has a hard time beating the STI’s and the SRT4 Neon with his Supra, so I don’t know.

I don’t see what hype about the Supra is anyway. Personally, I would rather have a Twin Turbo Nissan 300ZX or a Mazda RX7 over the Supra any day. They are a lot lighter then the Supra and I know that I’m going to catch a lot of heat from yall, but stock for stock, they are faster than the Supra too.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Tha H.N.I.C
I don’t see what hype about the Supra is anyway. Personally, I would rather have a Twin Turbo Nissan 300ZX or a Mazda RX7 over the Supra any day. They are a lot lighter then the Supra and I know that I’m going to catch a lot of heat from yall, but stock for stock, they are faster than the Supra too.
Yeah, you're completely right. RX7s are amazing performing and amazing looking cars, the problem is that the rotary doesn't have too much big power to provide, even when heavily turbo'd. It has a severe lack of torque, regardless what you do to it. That's why an LS1 swap is quite popular amongst the RX7 guys to bring them up to big gun power numbers. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if a 500 horsepower LS1 RX7 was completely untouchable on the street.

I love RX7s. They are better looking, MUCH better handling, and rarer than Supras are. Glad you reminded me about them.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 PM

So ANYWAY back on topic.. Lets hear some more opinions about the STi vs APR A6 race?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

The hype about supra's is that they can handle an amazing amount of horsepower and torque on their stock internals. Literally a stock supra can handle 800 horsepower. Not many cars can say that. They are also one of the best looking ever made, an opinoin but a warranted one. I also love the rx-7 but it is to small. And they have no torque. While were on the subject though my choice would definitly be a 240sx s15 silvia, fully built sr20 motor with a decent sized turbo. Also a big problem with the 300zx is that their tranny's and drivetrain's suck.

i dont know how much rarer a rx-7 is than a supra, but i think i could believe it.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Dont talk about it, be about it. The only way to find out is to race him.

Quick Reply: A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?