Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Engine Oil -Whats everyone using or favoring?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear

mobile one

Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedShoeRider
nm3210 said it best: check the list that the VAG group puts out as to acceptable oils. That's your best place to start. Lots and Lots of us go with Mobil 1. It might not be the best synthetic out there (indeed, Motul, Agip, Amsoil are better in some ways), but it's the most widely available. Wal-Mart even has it.

More pragmatic view: We spend $$ on these cars. The few extra bucks for synthetic is well worth it. Now, given that you have a naturally aspirated vehicle, a high-quality dinosaur oil should be just fine, given that you stick to the 3-4k oil change "rule". But around here (NJ), the difference between regular and Mobil 1 is about 2 bucks a quart, so it's a difference of about 10 bucks for a oil change. That's cheap insurance.

Insurance, you say? Yup. Why? Synthetics flow better in the cold and really, really deal with heat well. They're the next evolution in oils, much the same as when detergent oil replaced non-detergent back in the 60's and 70's.

Sure someone can argue with me up and down on these points, because a lot of motor oil selection is basically voodoo. We can't test it ourselves, so we trust all of the reviews and such, half of which are BS and the other half of questionable quality.

Get a good filter, get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5-30 or 5-40, and call it a day.

(And yes, for those of you who read my sig, I use 0-40 in the 2.7t, 5-30 in the 2.8, both Mobil 1. The bike gets Agip.....but then again, its shift point is at 11k rpm!)
he makes a good point.
Mobil 1 is very available.
the carquest I work at only carries Amsoil because boss (manager) is religious about the stuff.

If I didnt have a killer hookup on amsoil, I would buy mobil 1 at Walmart for $22/gallon as opposed to $35/gallon for amsoil.

Mobile 1 is still an amazing product.

the thing that boggles my mind, is that some people think old dinosaurs pumped out of the ground and filtered is equal to something man-made with millions of dollars of research in a lab. it just seems like common sense.

but hey, just my .02
I'm no scientist.
I'm just a "counter-pro" to pay the bills.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

My past posts have all been lost since the site made changes (I'm not a COMPLETE n00b, but close), and I know this thread is a bit old, but here's my little bit of understanding. I'm using the Amsoil euro car full synthetic as well as some of the other posters. The page is very enlightening:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

One of the main points made (and was mentioned above) is that true, full synthetics have excellent cold start, high heat, and deposit build up qualities. I don't have any real knowledge of the Supra turbo engine, but my general impression is that Japanese high performance engines (extreme cases like the new GT-R excluded) tend to be less complicated and more robust/reliable. Sure, there's exceptions. Audi however, tends to lean towards the complex and cutting edge side as much as anybody else. I believe the 1.8T and 2.7T engines have proven to be more sludge-prone designs than your average car. Lots of vulnerable nooks and crannies, and narrow oil lines. While neither of these engines (as far as I know) are being put into their current models, they followed them with a twin turbo V10 in '08 in the RS6 Avant, and there's a twin turbo V12 diesel Q7 that's euro market only at the moment (for example). From their perspective as a company, it's probably a lot easier to just recommend the most protective type of oil available for all your models. And with these high quality full syns, I think you can go longer than the 3-4k interval on our cars ('01 2.7T in my case). In fact, most modern cars that run conventional have longer change intervals these days. 10k, even 15k. So long as the filter is up to the task (think I remember ECS adding larger, long interval Audi filter to their site).

Hopefully my long-winded reply helps someone.

Also, the site I linked mentions the whole conventional to full syn switch and the fact that it can dislodge sludge. I did a flush when I started using Amsoil since I didn't know what the previous owner used.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Thumbs up 2002 a6

I agreed on Amsoil

Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

The Mann (Audi) oil filter has BIG letters on the housing:

30000km, 2 years.

Full synthetics are not the same as 100% synthetic; as nor the synthetics molecules and their number in the oil are same.
No wonder oils are classified in groups from I to V.

Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance=> do your home work and learn what makes them different.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

As maany times previously stated:

Castrol Syntec is group IV in Europe, but group III in N.America.
(Which oil the VW standard takes in consideration?)
Mobil 1 downgraded to group III, but offers Extended Performance.
Why stick to particular oil?
(Do you eat the same food always?)