Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 3.0 COLD START MISFIRE cyl 4- P0304

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

I heard about that. would I be able to visually see the wear or where can I find the lobe measurements to check for wear. But if it was why would it go away wouldn't it be a constant problem not a 20 second problem. And why would it go away after I cranked the engine a hundred times checking the compression?

what about lifters?

As for the ECM I have a date with those guys but they want to play with it themselves. I haven't spoken with the mechanic yet just the "consultant". I'll call around as well but when I go I won't be asking either, If they want the money they can do it if not happy trails.

Last edited by Jackmup; 05-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

I guess I can check cyl 4 lobes against cyl 6 since it's ok.

I'll get on it.

Oh one more thing. Spark plug in cylinder 4 looks rich/carbon on edges, spark plug in 5 looks like its lean/white.

Last edited by Jackmup; 05-25-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 PM
4th Gear

Could be a collapsed exhaust lifter on #4 I guess.. the compression test definitely says somethings up.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

shesh, that intake cam doesn't sound very exciting....I'm holding out coast for my west coast brother that it's not the problem.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Jackmup
I heard about that. would I be able to visually see the wear or where can I find the lobe measurements to check for wear. But if it was why would it go away wouldn't it be a constant problem not a 20 second problem. And why would it go away after I cranked the engine a hundred times checking the compression?

what about lifters?

As for the ECM I have a date with those guys but they want to play with it themselves. I haven't spoken with the mechanic yet just the "consultant". I'll call around as well but when I go I won't be asking either, If they want the money they can do it if not happy trails.

Who knows, a little hic up in compression could make these ECM's act like they are on a trip on acid...... Could also be the lifter/s, but the cam shaft is a softer material than the lifter buckets from what i can remember so the cam is more likely.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Not the cam or lifters they are just fine, I checked the timing while I was in there it's good to. The ports to the cam adjuster are clean so is the head absolutely no sign of sludge. I'm done. half the stuff I'm testing would effect all of the cylinders on bank 2.

At this point by process of elimination It's highly likely the ECM is causing the misfire as you said and it has been going on for a while building sticky *** carbon deposits in the exhaust port causing more compression in this cylinder.

It's going in for a flash Friday/Saturday along with my laundry list of what isn't broken

As for the cam/lifter problems (for everyone reading)
It seems as if those engines were run on low oil or crap oil. The pictures show a lifter with the top/tappet removed and the cam lobe chewed up on the outside edges. A .20mm feeler should not fit in between bottom of lobe and lifter. You would no doubt hear this as tapping. TSB 15 08 03
would be a good thing to check when doing the valve cover gaskets.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear

I was thinking to change my lifters, but the price held me back... same thing with the valves.
Maybe in a few years I may replace them all. It isn't by any stretch a cheap proposition for me right now.