Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.8 quattro not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Default A6 2.8 quattro not starting

Hi I hate when my first post is a problem. I have a 1999 A6 2.8 quattro with 200,000kms on it I had it in my garage for a few day, went to fire it up and it would crank but not fire. I have moderate mechanical knowledge. So I checked the following:

- I have spark at the plugs
- I have fuel going to and from the rail
- The car has sufficient voltage 12.5+- and for good measure I throw the jumper pack on there as well.

I have done some reading and the is mention of a ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor, going bad and flooding the motor with gas on start. Because it thinks its really cold when not. I have a VAG code reader on route, so as of now I can't get a code.

Has anybody experienced this before? Or have anything I can try.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 2.8 quattro not starting

Is fuel getting to the cylinders?

VAGCom usually helps get to the bottom of the problem

Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 AM

I don't know if the fuel is getting to the cylinders, is there an easy way to figure it out. I know there is fuel going through the fuel rails.

I just got the VAGCOM but am having troubles figureing it out.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Same issues I have - car won't turnover on random days, I feel it happens more frequently on cooler days. This triggers anengine code- see below:
1) P1237-1242= "Cyl.1-6 Fuel Inj.Circ. Open Circ."- or "Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering"

I am thinking my fuel filter needs replacing or Mass Airflow Sensor? Anyone have any other thoughts what is triggering this code?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by toolagit2qwit
Same issues I have - car won't turnover on random days, I feel it happens more frequently on cooler days. This triggers anengine code- see below:
1) P1237-1242= "Cyl.1-6 Fuel Inj.Circ. Open Circ."- or "Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering"

I am thinking my fuel filter needs replacing or Mass Airflow Sensor? Anyone have any other thoughts what is triggering this code?
same thing happening to my 99 a6. i talked to an audi tech and he told me that he has never seen all of the fuel inj. codes show at the same time. any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

While you have fuel getting to the rail, do you have enough pressure? With the high mileage on you car I am wondering if the fuel filter has ever been replaced as I suspect at least partial clogging.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
While you have fuel getting to the rail, do you have enough pressure? With the high mileage on you car I am wondering if the fuel filter has ever been replaced as I suspect at least partial clogging.

in my case, i had a fuel pump installed,new spark plugs/wires and i still have the same problem.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

Did you check the fuse box?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Did you check the fuse box?

fuse box? would that cause the hesitation that i experience?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

I was refering to not getting fuel at all. There is a fuse for fuel pump, and a fuel pump relay.

As for your hesitation and not starting on cold days, it may just be a simple battery issue. When was the last time you changed the battery?

If the fuel pump is working and you are still not getting fuel, you may want to check the coolant temperature sensor. Fuel injectors require input from CTS and if the CTS is shot, I heard cases where cars don't start.

Quick Reply: A6 2.8 quattro not starting