Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 2.8 chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, that's what I thought, just making sure, thanks for the info

Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oc_audica
Flashloader would only be needed to switch between programs. Otherwise you can just stay on pump file. the Flashloader costs $150 and it doesn't actually flash... the flash programs are purchased separately and installed without the flashloaser. if you buy the GIAC or any program, you don't need anything else if you don't want to switch programs.

the GIAC file can be flashed at any GIAC dealer, and you don't need to take out your ECU or send it anywhere... they just plug in a laptop and run the flash.
alright one more question,
What's the difference between AWE Tuning and GIAC?
AWE Tuning says they solder a GIAC chip on the ECU, while you say at a GIAC dealer they only load information on the ECU.

I'm inclined to believe that actually soldering a chip on the ECU would result into better performance than just loading information, especially that they're both GIAC. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

AWE Tuning say their GIAC chips cost about $300, is it the same for loading information at GIAC dealership?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by b0b0
alright one more question,
What's the difference between AWE Tuning and GIAC?
AWE Tuning says they solder a GIAC chip on the ECU, while you say at a GIAC dealer they only load information on the ECU.

I'm inclined to believe that actually soldering a chip on the ECU would result into better performance than just loading information, especially that they're both GIAC. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

AWE Tuning say their GIAC chips cost about $300, is it the same for loading information at GIAC dealership?
AWE Tuning probably hasn't updated their site is my guess. The chip & flash load the same file on your ECU... the flash is just a newer technology and GIAC only started offering it on the 2.8 in July of this year.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Well I just contacted a GIAC dealer who's really close to my home, asking for their prices. They said their ECU upgrade will cost $385, while the TCU is $495. I'm not planning on getting the TCU though. Any ways do these prices seem close to what you paid, or are they ripping me off?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

I forgot how expensive the TCU gets... sounds like labor costs are being added. Did you ask if the offer the GIAC flash, or if they will be puttin a chip on the ECU?

My GIAC software was free becuase they needed an A6 to test the new flash. I love GIAC but for the price you might be more well off getting the speedtuning chip which iirc was closer to $200. As stated above, see if the vendor who quoted you is charging to "chip" the car (this would add additional labor to the cost) or if they are flashing it (a reputable shop won't charge additional to flash) ~ if they are chipping it, ask why they aren't offering the flash instead.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

I contacted the dealership again and they said that the TCU has to be chipped, but the ECU could be flashed. They said it has to be bench flashed, which means that he has to take the ECU out and flash it on his desk. Do you think he should charge labor for that?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

for a bench flash yea there will be labor, but GIAC flashed mine via OBDII so I don't see why the vendor wouldn't be able to.