Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?

If I was even to think about the W8, I would get the Passat Wagon, or even better the VM Phaeton. The Phaeton is an Audi A8 in VW dressing. But people are above are right. The Phaeton did horribly in sales and the people who buy VW's go for mileage, affordability and cheap MODS on the 4-6 cylinders. The W8 never really got a lot of attention. The buyers base does not have as much money to spend as the Audi buyers so they did limited production numbers on the V8. Audi owners on the other hand, love the V8 and that is why they mass produce them with that engine configuration. Go with AUDI...Isn't that why you are here and pose your question?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

stay away from the W8.Hard to find parts for and no body wants to serivce them. My shop just did an alternator on one, alternator alone was $570 and a pain in the butt to do. The W8 never caught on, the 2.7 is much more well known and just generally easier to maintain.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
SoCal Crew Member

The W8 is pretty rare. I would be scared off by this, since it almost guarantees expensive parts and service costs.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: prbayha

If I was even to think about the W8, I would get the Passat Wagon, or even better the VM Phaeton. The Phaeton is an Audi A8 in VW dressing. But people are above are right. The Phaeton did horribly in sales and the people who buy VW's go for mileage, affordability and cheap MODS on the 4-6 cylinders. The W8 never really got a lot of attention. The buyers base does not have as much money to spend as the Audi buyers so they did limited production numbers on the V8. Audi owners on the other hand, love the V8 and that is why they mass produce them with that engine configuration. Go with AUDI...Isn't that why you are here and pose your question?
so funny you say that! i was looking for the Phaeton... but ended up with the A6. it was cheaper although not as nice... the VW Phaeton is inbetween the a6 and a8 in size and many of the trinkets on the paeton have later been added to both the vw's and the audis... many of the options are industry firsts. It's a solid car... well over 100k for the topline engine fully loaded.

Still looking for one... once it depreciates enough for me to afford it.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

This is question can be related to almost all VW & Audi cars. I was debating my decision on an A4/Jetta GLi. But I wouldn't feel that driving satisfaction in a VW. It pays off to go the extra mile. It all comes down to your wallet and what you want from your vehicle. VW are nice and all but they don't come close to an Audi. As Audi owners we take pride in our cars and they're not just 'my daily commuter' as that indicates a bland boring vehicle. I love my 2.7 and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. No turbo problems (yet) and haven't had to replace anything outta the normal or expensive.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: euro_2nr

This is question can be related to almost all VW & Audi cars. I was debating my decision on an A4/Jetta GLi. But I wouldn't feel that driving satisfaction in a VW. It pays off to go the extra mile. It all comes down to your wallet and what you want from your vehicle. VW are nice and all but they don't come close to an Audi. As Audi owners we take pride in our cars and they're not just 'my daily commuter' as that indicates a bland boring vehicle. I love my 2.7 and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. No turbo problems (yet) and haven't had to replace anything outta the normal or expensive.
yea, i hear you. but im not into the whole branding thing... i try to look at cars more objectively. i actually chose my passat over an a4 of the same year... and at the timeboth were closein price.

i will soon have a choice to upgrade my passat, i will most likely get a GTI... over an A4. GTI is made in germany, has the same engine as an A4 and a well appointed interior.. for more than 5,000 less! in many ways i don'tsee much of a difference between the two companies... although, i am disapointed that the recent vw models have cheapened the apearance oftheir interiors so as to not step on the toes of Audi.

Its also why i may oneday convince myself to get a hyundai sonata.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 PM

I prefer a 2.7T since I owned one. However, as other has said in the forum W8 will be more costly due to parts unavailability. Also, if you want a car that is more performance oriented or more suitable for tuning then I will go with a 2.7T. Also, my buddy owned a VW Jetta and the interior quality is just not comparable to any Audi.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
gkb