Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 Performance questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Default 4.2 Performance questions answered

Ok after almost 8 years of no development for the 4.2 and now real performance upgrades available I have gotten several questions E mails. So here is some more break down

all mods are from Vast Performance

1 the TCU and ECU effect the low end and off the line performance dramaticly.
2 the mid range and top end are night and day but you need to go stage 3 (exhaust and intake)
3 gas mileage actully seems to be 3 Gpm better with the stage 3
4 the TCU is located under the passenger seat carpet. Easy to get to let me know and I can do a wright up on it if needed
5 as far as the other mods available I have not tested them YET. I think the fan kit and the pullie will be the next best thing for the car.

6 I met up with greg from the forums this weekend (I don't know if he is from this forum or not chime in if you are) he has a 4.2 with the AWE chip and tip chip...no wonder people have not gotten any chips and they have a bad name. I honistly don't know what to say other than his car felt stock. We raced ( in a safe&empty road) and it was a joke to say the least I beat him by 10+ cars in the 1/4 mile and in a off the roll race it was a matter of seconds before I was pulling cars on him....Sorry greg but it was nice to meet you and at least now you are getting real chips for your car.

any how I know there are lots of questions about the performance but as more people seem to be getting chipped we can all chime in

Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 4.2 Performance questions answered

This all sounds exciting!!! Once I get home from Iraq I will be investing in the ECU/TCU!

Thanks for the info justincredible! And thanks for being a leader in getting these mods!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

i can vouch for justin now too, because i have almost some of the same stuff. he's got more done than me, but i've got both the ecu and tcu file now, and this stuff is the real deal.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. I am excited about the 4.2 now I had the car for a while and did all the research I could before I made the jump. It is cool to see someone really care about the 4.2 and not just the easy money of the 2.7T (not that I don't like the platform) but it just seems all the tuners are out for the easy money. This is real performance with real results not only that but there seems to be much more on the way. I thought my car was fast untill I raced kurt's car. as fast as my car is his really puts into perspective how far we can push the platform. Oh not to be forgotten is baskin there is another 4.2 power house

Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

justin,

you have a super nice car and to think I may not have needed to do the S8 motor...it is cool to see someone working to make performance parts for the 4.2 I have always thought there was lots of room to grow. Im glad you took my advice and it seems you are very happy that you did.

mustang it is good to see you are happy as well. I told you the Vast guys were the real deal. We should see about having a track day and have the 4.2 posse show up and test the cars at the track

Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

We should see about having a track day and have the 4.2 posse show up and test the cars at the track
If someone schedules a track day far enough in advance (and after I return from Iraq), I'll make plans to drive up for it. Just need the prior notification. Early June or any time in July works best for me.

What road courses are near VAST/Detroit?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Im going to take my car up there soon, around late spring and the more I read about their work the more excited I get! Ive also been looking around and there isnt a whole lot for the 4.2 until these guys really pushed foward. Kudos to VAST and I havent even gotten any work done yet! Id also be in for the track days, keep us updated on it.

Also I dont know how far away it is from the Detroit area but there is a course up that way in Michigan that Ive been to called Gingerman Raceway.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

This is definitely a super exciting time for us. As we have been ignored for too long. Justin is right all the other tuners have just passed us by or put little to know interest into the hard to crack 4.2

There is lots more to come for us as far as I can see. My car alone has some of the new stuff I know they have not released yet. At this time obviously I have the Vast supercharger going on the car in the next month or so. But I know they are also trying to find several other low cost forced induction options for those that enjoy the power but not the price tag

The cool thing is the fact that we are all able to share and I think a meet would be a great Idea. even if I have to rent the track we should look into it. I think late June is not bad. early July is bad for me.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Damn, I livereally close to Michigan. I would LOVEto take part in the 4.2 meet

Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM

haha i cant wait to hurt some 2.7's feelings with my 4.2

Quick Reply: 4.2 Performance questions answered