Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Audi A6: How to replace break pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

SlackJaw -- You need to get your head adjusted before you blow a gasket or hurt your boot.
Don't get your panties in a bunch due to lack of knowledge!

Some Audi's need VagCom to retract the rear calipers and others require the twisty method. You need to determine which vehicle you are working on and whichone people are talking about before going off half cocked.

A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.
no ****. that was kind of the point of my post.

but bullfuckingshit you need a vagvcom to replace a brakepad.

The fact that I didn't come back here for what on 3 weeks and this was the only response???

screw you all.

seriously.

I disconnected my rear passenger side line completely, for 2 weeks. I replaced my pads and the affected caliper. I bled the brakes. I NEVER used a VagCom.

ymmv.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

the fact that it took that last post 9 (NINE) minutes to post (and refresh) don't help a ton.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 AM
2nd Gear

Slackjaw,

You do know that you own an A4 and you are posting in the A6 forum?

You do know that an A4 and an A6 are two different cars?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
Slackjaw,

You do know that you own an A4 and you are posting in the A6 forum?

You do know that an A4 and an A6 are two different cars?
LOL

Mr Slackjaw is in a fog..
He dosen't like the board (said he can't stand it - makes me wonder why he returned),
has an A4 (we got to remember that an A4 is only 4/6 of a real vehicle) ,
and a secret way to bypass the need for VagCOM when doing the brakes on Audis that may or may not need VagCOM.

The poor guy is confused --
the tight panties might be impeeding the blood flow to his brain.

LOL

Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear

I have my pop corn bowl and sitting down for this one. I am also ready to start throwing tomatoes. I wounder who....

Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

lol indeed

okay fellers, let's get some business taken care of

1) My sincerest apologies for getting in a ruffle, I got a little habit of putting too much booze in me occasionally, and the frustration of having my car on jackstands for almost 3 weeks, the majority of which due to some pimply assed stock boy pulling the wrong part....at a company that comes highly regarded by the users of this site. My bad, but I hope you might sympathize just a bit.

2) As I said earlier, I was looking for a thread on what I needed, and although I found it before, couldn't find it this time...not to mention, Post #2 is a "do a search" response and for a bonus refers the OP to other sites, rofl...

...do I care that this "break" pad thread is in the A6 section? Are you telling me that a simple brake pad job on an A6 is some kind of voodoo compared to a simple brake pad job on an A4?

3) I do not intend in the least to apologize for stating what I feel is rampant mis-information on this site. Here's an example:

Dude threads about his "BRAKE" light coming on and beeping...only when the ambient temp is below 50*f, only when he makes a right handed turn. He has ~40k miles on the vehicle.
I had these EXACT symptoms, at the same ~mileage.
Some other dude tells him he needs an ABS Unit rebuild, or some ****. But he knows a guy local to the OP that will do it on the cheap.
4 ounces of brake fluid solved my issue. And it solved the OP's problem as well.
NOT an ABS rebuild.

So please pardon me for casting the stink-eye on the recommendation that you must cycle the ABS via VAGcom for a simple pad replacement...when I disconnected the caliper for a week or so, bled the brakes, and have experienced NOTHING wrong in the subsequent weeks.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. I harbour no ill will towards any of you, or the site in general. I *might* search here on a DIY I am unfamiliar with, but bet your *** I'm going to cross reference elsewhere, first.

l8rz :wave:

PS: put some more ads on this site, I particularly like the ones that float over, making it harder to close them without accidentally clicking on a Mike Rowe video, ******** the lot of you

Last edited by SlackJaw; 10-01-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default 4) :d

PPS:

I eventually lolled at the "4/6" of a car comment...

I think you got your fraction inverted a bit there gramps.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

well this was entirely anti-climactic...

Let's skip all the Bs and someone tell me how much entirely different changing the back BREAK pads on an A6 is from doing the same exact job on an A4.

Last edited by SlackJaw; 10-09-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Hey having just bought the U600, and been extremely irritated by the fact that it doesn't work at all, I'm hoping you did not end up getting it. I searched for all threads mentioning it, just to ensure nobody else ever makes the same mistake again!

There's a short thread about it here:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...highlight=u600

Cheers,