Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Audi A6: How to replace break pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
3rd Gear

VAGcom cable is $30 from ebay. Software is free. If you are just planning to do pads, (although I recommend pads and rotors) it will cost you about than $200 on top quality pads. Cheaper if you are using OEM substitute stuff... IF you take it do a dealer, you are looking at $250 on parts and 3 to 4 hours of labor, which where I live is about $500. You are out the door with $750.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM

I am trying to decide between the cable/software option and a scan tool like the memoscan U600 but not sure if either will accomplish the rear brake retraction. Does the $30 cable with the free software allow the rear brakes to be retracted or do you need the newer non-free version and does it run under windows 7? Does anyone know about the memoscan U600?
Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
I said C6, which is 2005 to the present.
Sorry my bad I missed the C6 comment..

Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Sorry my bad I missed the C6 comment..
No worries.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Sorry for going off-topic guys, but do I need the VAGcom software to do the rear brakes on my '02 A6 or is it just like any other cars?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 AM

You don't need the vagcom for the 2002 A6 since it doesn't have the electronic parking brake. However you need to turn the rear pistons back.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrDean
You don't need the vagcom for the 2002 A6 since it doesn't have the electronic parking brake. However you need to turn the rear pistons back.
Got it! Thank you much!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 AM

Okay guys I have a 2007 A6 and bought the cable and downloaded the VAG software but somehow I dont think its free. The program does not work without the activation codes. I need to get the rear brakes replaced and from what I read I need to retract the pistons with the program. Software is Version 10.6.0. I believe previous versions wont work on the newer cars.Any suggestions?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Well after my horrible experience with my standard mechanic who "had the right computer".. I would suggest taking it to Audi. The calipers got fully pushed out and couldn't retract. I ended up putting my A6 on a flat bed and gettting it taken to Audi to finish the job. On the bright side, they were able to put in my pads in the front for free due to the craziness in the back.

Would love to know from anyone if this is a DIY job with the right computer or if Audi is the only one that has the real software.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

wow, this is why I can't ******* stand this board...

this thread says you have to have a computer, just to change the rear brake pads???

I only found this thread, because I was searching another thread, as I have just done a rear pads change, after a bunch of ******* heartache, to post kudos for all the info I SHOULD have looked up before doing it....there was never a mention of VAGcom.

And for one reason or another, I can't for the life of me find the thread I was thinking of...

Good thing I didn't search it when I was having a problem

Shame I can't find it now.....must have been on another forum

Here's my experience, although I doubt a piece of **** it matters for this thread..and being that I can't find the other really good thread, certainly it don't make a piece of **** either...

I was replacing rear pads. Found the e-brake hardware. took it apart further than I needed to....used the wrong tools, nicked the boot around the caliper, in the process, backed the caliper out too far...ripped out the boot. Dealer sold me 2 new boots and replaced on free of charge. $30 total.

Here's the deal:

2 bolts remove the caliper, rent the tool from Autozone for compressing AND rotating the caliper at the same time. Deposit to get the tool, full refund upon return.

New pads slip into the springs, replace the caliper, bolt back. DONE.

Last edited by SlackJaw; 09-08-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6: How to replace break pads