Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 with 160k going on a long trip?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear

If it was me, I'd take the risk especially if I have at least a week to drive it after the repairs just to make sure everything was done right and no codes. Suggest an occasional bottle of fuel injector cleaner on the trip to clean the fuel system. There are a lot of posts about Seafoam, but I have always used cheap stuff from Walmart and I have never had plugged fuel injectors on any vehicle I owned. I am sure that comment will generate a lot of criticism, so let it rip.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

My trip is d 24th so I got plenty of time to test it out n see what happens after d repairs, I'm debating it right now to rent or just do d repairs n I think I'm leaning on d rapairs! I just hope nothin happens during d trip after all d repairs lol I'll have a headache n prob b broke !

Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

At 160K you are rolling the timing belt dice at home or on the road...if the t-belt goes while you are far away, post it for sale on local Craigslist and get a new car when you get home cuz its gonna be cheaper than fixing, and having your GF and sister with you wont make a good scene on the side of I-95.

Buddy bought a nice 2001 S4 and a week later drove to Florida from New Hampshire. Notice how I didnt put drive back...he made it to Georgia on the way home and lunched the motor due to t-belt failure. He actually paid for the car to be shipped back to New Hampshire so he could have his local guy make the $4K...plus the thousand he spent on the transport.

Im saying rental until you get the belt service done. Then drive the thing anywhere for another 80K.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks 4 replaying!
I think I'm gonna do repairs, got a quote from edge-motors for $700 timing belt job $250 cam seals n valve cover gaskets. Also I guess he could check d tranny n differential fluids n Change spark plugs!
I mean I figured I have to do it regarless before or after d trip n a rental car will run me bout d same if not more? So I may as well just do d repairs n take my car!!
What u guys think?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like the right thing to do. make sure you tell them that you are planning on taking on a long trip and have them check out everything that might go wrong, since they are going to have it all apart anyway.

the folks at edge are top-notch

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Yea all I hear is good things bout them! Can't wait to bring it over.
I really enjoy driving my car when I actually drive it n hearing how some of these audis
have so many miles on them n still running strong just make me want to take care of mine!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Hello guys...
So I made it to Miami today!! Ended up taking my car. I had no issues at all, d ride was nice n other than a speeding ticket my girl's sister got it was all good!! Gonna check everything all over again b4 I head back to ny at d end of next week. Love my car!! Changing d air filter/spark plugs was a good idea as i got a good amount of miles Per Tank.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Glad to hear you made it without issue. Did you end up going to Edge before you made the trip? Either way, enjoy your time in FLA. Hope the hurricane doesn't ruin anything for you.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by magiben2k5
Thanks 4 replaying!
I think I'm gonna do repairs, got a quote from edge-motors for $700 timing belt job $250 cam seals n valve cover gaskets. Also I guess he could check d tranny n differential fluids n Change spark plugs!
I mean I figured I have to do it regarless before or after d trip n a rental car will run me bout d same if not more? So I may as well just do d repairs n take my car!!
What u guys think?
hello:
I have a 02 a6 v3.0 with 172k miles and I need to do timing belt/water pump. But i am getting quotes in the order of $2200 (boston area), I have not heard anything under $2000.

Do you guys know of audi shop which can do it cheaply?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

i took my 99 audi a6 on a trip from detroit to chicago with 172k...about 150 miles from home...my car was making this nasty noise...I made it home fine, but comes out to be the cam shaft tensioner went on it.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 with 160k going on a long trip?!