Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 a6 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Default 1998 a6 worth it?

Hi Im new to the forum as you can tell, and I was looking to purchase a 98 a6 and I had some basic questions if anyone can help me out. Well first off, he wants 9500$ which is ridiculous. The car is a quattro with 75,000 miles but he does have minor modifications which I sort of favor since I am young. He has put 18" rims on it, tinted windows, sound system, and HIDs. As a car enthusiast I know I shouldn't like this because modifications do devaluelize a car and will possibly never get your money back. But I thought a fair price for the car would be 7000$ if anyone can agree with me or a better price? KBB said its 6,100$ i believe. So not sure right there.

I've always been a chevy guy, mainly because of my father a huge corvette guy himself and despising every foreign car in sight. I however seemed to like them and would like some help on them. I have knowledge of cars and maintenance, I took a class in highschool for easy things though and a dad thats a basic encyclopedia on cars. I have worked on one audi though which a kid bottomed out his car and actually cracked his whole oil pan, personally the kids an idiot.

First off, what are some common issues on a 1998 with that many miles? I've done a little research and it should have a timing belt soon and I didnt know what else should be done during that time as well. Is there any key questions I should ask and anything I should really look for to tell if theres going to be any major problems? Also a big question I have is that if all 98 a6 2.8 quattro have dual exhausts stock? I cant tell from pictures because I believe they're hidden but if you purchased dual tips so that it looks cleaner with dual exhaust or if its only one.

Just a quick question, has anyone ever tried vin etching on their nice cars to lower insurance? Im kinda hesitant on it but not completely sure.

I also live in Rochester, NY which is why I favor the audi having AWD. Salt kills me though, :/

Thanks,
george

Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Make sure when you have the timing belt service done that the tech changes out the front oil seals as well. The timing belt service on the 2.8L is a PITA and many shops will probably charge around $650 - $1200 easily for it. Oh also, while doing this job change out the waterpump and thermostat since you'll be in there.

The 2.8L engine is like a tank. it'll run and run. The only thing is that it likes to leak oil but then again, what German car doesn't.

When it's time to change the valve cover gaskets, make sure to also change out the camshaft tensioner gaskets with half moons as well as the oil plug seals on the back of each head.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

I think 7k is too much. But who knows. I paid almost 3 years ago 8k maybe 9 for my 00 with 114k on it. All maintenance was up to date including timing belt, newer tires...blah blah from a used car dealer.

So 3 years later, I would imagine a 00 A6 2.8 with 114k on it to be worth 5-6k. Even thought blue book would be much higher on a 00, it would never sell for blue book by a long shot. So a 98 with 75k would be worth maybe 5-6 max in my opinion. Especially since it needs a 1k dollar timing belt job, the control arms will be original, serp belt......

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
4th Gear

Was that $6100 the 'excellent' price? Never use that price. 90% of all cars fall into the Good and Fair, with 80% of those in the Fair.

FWIW, that car w/o the 'mods' is $5400 in my area (Indiana) according to KBB. With the mods, I wouldn't even pay that. Remember, you are dependent on someone else actually knowing what they are doing when they hack a wiring harness. That scares me. Besides, with the money you'd save by not paying for 'his' mods, you could do your own.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM

Most add-ons don't add to the value of the car, they're usually a personal taste thing. You checked KBB and NADA, use those numbers after you explain you subtracted the price of what it'll cost you to get it reliable and up to date, give him your phone number and move on..you'll find what you want eventually.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

$7 K is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuch!

I agree with Midniteoyle that $5400 is too much. $3500 is more like it - maybe $4000.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

With the records I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for that car because you WILL need to put in at least $1500 to get it up to date for sure.

In this economy That gut is high on crack. I bought a 02 A6 Quattro in Feb for $7K and an 00 A8 Quattro in April for $6800.00 both with records in near mint condition and still I put 2K in parts into both of them. The deals are out there offer him 3 if you really want it or search around some more and read through this site so you realize the maintenance involved just around 90K which is why this shanizzle is getting rid of it.

I searched www.craigslist.com for mine. Take your time and look for a deal.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I understand, thats the reason I hate buying cars with modifications, but the price was way crazy and he said he maybe would let it go for 8500$ and thats still crazy. Just needed some second opinions from others who know their audis, I always am on craigslist too haha everywhere in NY I search. I did find a 2001 a4 though with 127k 5 speed, with a new timing belt and new turbo for 4750$

Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

Try searching in the south because you'll eliminate the salt issue. You might need to take a flight to get it but if you save few thousand that would be worth it.

I can tell you now that everyone is sucking wind through a straw here in SW Florida so Audi's and BMW's are cheap here. Buzzing around NY they still have money plus they need to drive these cars (God forbid the neighbor catches them in a Camry)

try this link; http://www.searchtempest.com/

It lets you search all/multiple craiglist at once.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

That search helped, i found a few more audis sorta near me. Like 4 or 5 hours away not that bad though. Im still constantly looking and trying to find a good one for around 6500 or 7000. Hopefully ill find one, but that a4 with 127k 5 speed any good? Heres the link: http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1323003923.html

Quick Reply: 1998 a6 worth it?